Windows updates

Discussion in 'Computers' started by WaveCrest, Jul 12, 2012.

1. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Hope I haven't started this thread in the wrong forum folder, but it's about a Windows update which I'd like to remove if possible.

Have seen this before, but it was a long while ago. Windows say once this update is installed it can't be removed. On my desktop there's now a new desktop icon called "Browser Choice". The update's name is "Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update for EEA Users of Windows 7 for x64-based Systems". Is it possible to uninstall/remove this update, and does it slow your computer down?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Richard:

I moved your thread to the HTF's "Computer" section. I think you'll be much more likely to get a response here.

Good luck!

Mike

3. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Thanks Mike for moving this thread to a HTF forum folder where there's a better chance of getting a response to my query.

4. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

Just bought an HP Windows 7 64-bit system, got it set up yesterday. Installed nearly 550MB of updates, but never got this one.
    Not particularly helpful to you at this time, but if I come across it, I'll let you know.

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    The Browser Choice is enforced by a committee in Brussels. They fine Microsoft (Millions) if they forget to add it (which they did in certain update versions of W7).
    It will only be present in versions sold in Europe.

(Don't get me started about the nonsense and user-disdain of it all.)
    Microsoft hate it.

You can get rid of it, by (1) opening it and choosing which Internet Browser you want to use by default, and then (2) remove the icon from your desktop if it persists after all.
    You shouldn't see it again on that system.

Cees

6. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Thanks for your help Cees.

There are two options on the page which appear on screen after clicking the desktop icon "Browser Choice", then OK on the pop-up screen - Install and Tell Me More.

When I go onto Internet Explorer, usually each time a pop-up screen regarding installing Internet Explorer 9 appears (think I have Internet Explorer 8, along with Windows 7).

Have managed to put the Internet Explorer icon back on the taskbar (it was removed after this Windows update was installed).