What's new

Windows Media Center Codecs (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi,
I'm wondering if there are any codecs I need to download/buy to get the best possible picture/audio.

Right now I rip all my HD media to my HTPC. I am using Shark 007 codecs and bitstreaming the audio to my receiver.

I see a lot of people buying OPPO BD players because they have better picture. Is there something I need to do to my HTPC to get the best PQ out there?

I don't want a stand alone player.

When I rip the blurays, I do not do any compression. A lof of my movies are 20-30gb (some even larger).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
madVR renderer
LAV video decoder

(They're in the K-lite codec package of "media player classic").

Gryfter

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam Stamos
Like Jcroy I use the K-lite codec pack with Media Player Classic. In 10 or so years I've been using it I've little to no compatibility or playback issues until recently as it won't play back Dolby Atmos encoded audio yet but I found a player called Splash Pro EX which works well for that, unfortunately it's not free. Thankfully it was only $20 or so.

I'd love to give the shark007 codec a try but I always hate trying out new codecs for fear I'll end up screwing something up and lose my ability to playback .MKV files properly until I manage to figure it out.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The good thing with Shark is that it actually does MKV correctly, especially 10bit, and it includes the auto-convert for XBOX rendering as Media center extender

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks