What's new

Windows Media Center 2005 Software (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
No problem.

I'm trying to work on a guide for people right now.. a "hacker" kind of guide to MCE2005..

We're trying to compile some of the best "tips" out there regarding all facets of MCE2005 to put it together into a little black book format ;)

Bob_C

Agent

That would be great! Any idea when you might be done and how you would make it available?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I figure I'll post it up in several parts here, and then issue out a windows Help file that people can keep with them.

Lots of nice pictures and links to general reviews.

So far, we've tested:

18 video capture cards
14 HTPC cases
22 video cards
55 different PC configurations for different cost factors

And, I'm planning on about 20+ pages of "hacks" or little changes you can make to Windows XP MCE that make it -much- more efficient! :)

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Chris what type of cases have you tested? I'm looking to put together a HTPC within the next 2 weeks and I was looking at the Silverstone Lascala SST-LC03 Case. Any other suggestions for a case or is the silverstone my best bet.

I just found a sit that adds a "My Movies" Category into WMCE 2005 which helps in organizing your movies that you have on your HD. Anyone that is interested in the link, here it is.

http://www.binnerup.dk/mce/mymovies.htm

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep, you're link is one of the ones that I've already got in my hack list ;)

(BTW, I if you haven't been to MS, go there, download the MS pack for MCE, which will give you other features)

The Silverstone cases are very nice; I'm not as partial to the SST-LC03 as I am to the SST-LC01. Both cases are nice.

Right off the bat, on both, you will want to replace the back fan with a panaflo or other low flo, low noise fans.

The silverstone cases have a great design for airflow if properly managed, thanks to vents nicely placed on the sides. Using the Silverstone LC03, we were able to adequately cool a AMD64-3000+, 6600 PCI-X, ATI HDTV & Dual tuner eVGA card, which is part of what makes up the best of the unit ;)

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Anyone know how to delete movies or pictures out of Media Center. I have looked everywhere to do this.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
How do you mean delete them from media center?

You can delete recordings by selecting them and press "delete"

You can delete videos by selecting them, pressing delete as they roll, etc.

If they are over a network, you don't have user rights to do that ;)

And otherwise, you can always pop up windows file explorer and a wireless keyboard/mouse (should always be in your bag) and wipe them out that way as well.. for most cases, stored under documents and settingsall users

etc.

Maybe I misunderstand what you're asking :)

Bob_C

Agent
Does anyone know which MPEG-2 decoders work in MCE 2005? I'm a little upset because after buying the OEM version MCE and a Hauppage 250 mce TV tuner and already having the oem version of PowerDVD that came with my dvd Rom, I keep getting a decoder error whenever I try to watch live TV. From looking around, I see that nVidia nVDVD and InterVideo WinDVD are definitely compatible but the nVidia is only available in a bundle and InterVideo WinDVD is a $40 download. I already bought the hardware required and software, why should I have to buy anything else? :angry: Is there something I'm just missing, or am gonna have to throw more money into this thing to make it work? Sorry about the minor rant, but I'm just a little frustrated:b

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Use NVDVD, it's easily the best one out there. Yes, it has a cost, but it is far better then the others (FYI, PowerDVD6 can be made to work, but it's not worth it)

You can get NVDVD at:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html

If you are using a Nvidia Geforce6600GT/6600 series, it is -by far- the best decoder out there, you will get better output using that combo of decoder & card then almost any DVD player on the market (PERIOD)

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Chris,

On home movies in WMCE 2005 in the Edit Movies section. When I add actors is there a way to add pictures from "My Pictures" Its looking for XML File and all my pictures are JPEG's. Any idea on how to do this?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
No, not really.. however, what it is looking for is an XML file that is generated to have the links with pictures, etc. There is a program that I know of that does this, but I'm not sure if it's up on the web. I'm tyring to think of what we're accomplishing here, though.. most of the time people use that is to generate thumbnails for their own cam-corders with a detail "sploosh" type page .. is this what you are trying to do? I guess I'm trying to figure out what movies you're trying to attach this information to.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
My own Home Movies. I added actors as my family members in "Edit Collection". I just wanted to link a picture to them like you can do with real actors on a real movie's in "Edit Collection"

Chris

Senior HTF Member
OK. What the XML file is is an instruction set which notes the actors as well as links to JPGs or other graphics. And you'd have to build one. I'm aware of one program that does this, but after checking, it isn't on the net yet ;( There should be others, but I'm still looking to find a good one that I'd actually recommend (there is one called XML-GEN which is -terrible- and I would strongly recommend against it)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Chris:

I want pictures of your HTPC. I would also love to see it in action some day. I am jonesing for one but I just dropped some coin on my new Mits RPTV so...........

If you don't mind me asking what have you got invested in it with all the hardward, software, etc.?

When you get your list done let me know and I can either link to it from this area if you want to keep it on your own site or you can send me the .html files and I will upload it to our servers.

Parker

Chris

Senior HTF Member
No problem. Pardon the messy living room @ 2AM :)

Anyway, I'll get some better pictures..

I went overboard with costs :frowning:

AMD 3000+ CPU, which was $160 to get one of the low-heat 90 nm versions, motherboard ($89), 6600GT $160, memory $79, hdd (160G) (I'd have to look up, but I think ~$84) DVDRW $98, OS $141, ATI HDTV Capture card $149, eVGA Dual Tuner capture card, $169..

Cost was somewhere around ~1300 by the time you add in the case, $20 MS remote control and the like.

*laugh* in the second shot, you can see I'm still keeping the TWC HD-DVR, though I've been pretty unhappy with it :frowning:

Note: the blurriness in the center is largely due to a smudge on the camera, I'm not sure what caused that..

Bob_C

Agent
Thanks Chris and Steve, I got it working with NVDVD. Oh well, $20 more it is! But, I do have to say I love the integration of everything: music, movies, TV, radio, and pictures. Way cool!

Bob_C

Agent
Wow! The picture with the NVDVD decoders looks great! I am very pleased. Now I just need the keyboard shortcuts so I can continue to be a cheapskate and not have to purchase the remote control right now.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Glad it worked out great :) The NVDVD decoder is pretty freaking incredible.. the remote should not be that bad; less then $30.. :) But for right now, a cordless mouse should get you buy.

Remember to all: if you're even THINKING about doing an HDTV HTPC, you've got until June 2005 to do it:

http://www.templetons.com/brad/myth/...mmercials.html

(see the bottom of the page)

After that date, by FCC rules, cards which capture without flags will not be legal, so buy them up while you can ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks