What's new

Windows 10 w/ Uverse satellite receiver advice needed (1 Viewer)

John Wright

Auditioning
Real Name
John Wright
I have a Win 10 Home Premium x64 machine and a spare Uverse satellite (wifi) receiver box (Cisco model ISB 7005). I would like to connect it to my computer so I can watch live TV and the recordings on the primary receiver/DVR. Essentially, I want to use the receiver with my computer exactly as if my computer were a TV.

Questions:
  • Do I need a TV tuner card or a video capture card?
  • I'm told that Uverse works better with component video than with HDMI. Is that also true in this situation?
  • Quite frankly, I don't really need HDTV; this is mostly for watching news or the occasional low-interest sporting event on my 2nd monitor while I work. Is there any reason, such as simplifying the setup, that would make S-video or composite video preferable?
  • I assume I'll need some sort of media center software. What would be a good (and preferably free) choice? I don't anticipate using it for any other purposes than those mentioned above, and especially not to record programs.
  • Will I be able to use the Uverse remote in the same way as I would with an ordinary TV connected?
  • If there are any extremely important questions I should be asking but am not, could you answer them for me?
All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks