What's new

Windows 10 News and User discussion (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I booted into Windows at work Wednesday morning to test a piece of software originally written for Windows 7 and left my desk for about 4 hours. When I came back, I had been upgraded to 1607 without reinstalling to Boot Camp via a new iso file. Everything seems to be working normally but Microsoft still loses major style points with me for forcing a major OS upgrade which could have had bad results.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like sticky keys - perhaps oils from your left hand have seeped into the keyboard where you were resting your wrist.

The keystroke combination of [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Left or Right Arrow] will switch you into portrait mode. [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Up Arrow] will get you back to landscape mode.

Whoa, that was scary. Pressed the buttons like you said and my screen completely flipped around. Upside down, portrait, sideways.... But hit the right keys and back to normal landscape. Never knew that little hint. Thank you.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Harry-N said:
Sounds like sticky keys - perhaps oils from your left hand have seeped into the keyboard where you were resting your wrist.

The keystroke combination of [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Left or Right Arrow] will switch you into portrait mode. [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Up Arrow] will get you back to landscape mode.

Whoa, that was scary. Pressed the buttons like you said and my screen completely flipped around. Upside down, portrait, sideways.... But hit the right keys and back to normal landscape. Never knew that little hint. Thank you.

My PC Laptop has Windows 10 and my pressing the exact same combination of buttons does absolutely nothing! Seriously, I wouldn't mind having this capability, provided it's voluntary on my part!

Why does this not work for me? :P

CHEERS! :)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
One problem I'm currently experiencing, which may be Windows 10 related, is the numbers and decimal keys in the Num Lock section of my Keyboards (Both my built in, AND wireless!) will NOT function! All that happens when I press either Num Lock Key, is there'll be an annoying beep sound! Yet, when I use that very same wireless Keyboard on my wife's identical Laptop (But with Windows 8.1, INSTEAD of Windows 10!), those same Num Lock Keys DO work!

That's my current WTF?!!? to Microsoft, at the moment! :P

EDIT: Never mind. I was able to fix it in my Ease of Access settings, which I was admittedly playing around with a few days ago! That must have been when I inadvertently turned off the Num Lock's toggle function! :rolleyes:

OK, it's actually NOT fixed! The numbers will type in 1 instance, but soon as I press Num Lock again to disable the function, pressing Num Lock again, WON'T help as it should!

EDIT 2: Thank goodness I DIDN'T perform a clean install when I upgraded to Windows 10 last year!

It was only the Ease of Access option that's housed within my "Flaky Windows 8 Leftover Control Panel Program" that finally saved my ass! That stupid one for Windows 10 didn't do me any !@#$%^ good!

Late reply, just going through some old threads. Win10, with the 1607 upgrade has been doing really well for me.

Wireless anything I would avoid. Have had terrible experiences in the past. Mentioned this in another thread, but when I was doing IT work, a woman absolutely insisted on having a wireless mouse and keyboard. I chose all the hardware for the company, but finally let her install it. Mega failure. Put her back on the regular hardware and everything was fine.

Have a neighbor with a wireless keyboard & mouse. Constantly has problems, and she expects me to fix them. I'm not telling anyone, anymore that I have an IT background. People are like leeches, sucking the life out of me. I''m just expected to donate my time and fix their issues.

Used to actually charge about $20 an hour, it was a nice little income boost. But now it's more like I'm doing them a favor. And as people switch to Win10 and their problems, I'm going to go crazy, not getting involved.

I've thought of referring people to HTF, but that would be a disaster. I love this place, nice, polite intelligent people. Don't want it over-run with twits.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Harry-N said:

My PC Laptop has Windows 10 and my pressing the exact same combination of buttons does absolutely nothing! Seriously, I wouldn't mind having this capability, provided it's voluntary on my part!

Because you're named "Tony". It's a built in function that will not work for guys named Tony. :laugh:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Is there a way to store my email on my hard-drive? Or is it already there in some hidden, mystery file I don't know about.

Years ago we had the ".pst" files. I used to run a corporate email system, set up everybody with an individual email file on their "home drive" on the servers, but eventually converted to a main, server storage system. The ".pst" files were convenient. A few people lost their jobs because I had full access to their email, HR wanted me to check on some employees and let's say it didn't turn out well for them. Kind of a mini NSA agent at the time.

Now I miss that old ".pst", want to get my stuff stored locally. If I'm out of wi-fi range, want to compose a message or catch up on old things, it would be nice to not always have to be on-line.

I'm just wondering if there's a way to get my info on my laptop, keep the info synched up, yet still keep it in "the cloud" if I need access from a different computer.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Use IMAP, not POP, for email access. Your email client(s) will download and be in sync with your email server but not delete the emails. So you can access your email from multiple computers.

Or, use a web client to access from a computer that you don't want email stored on.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you don't mind my asking, how much RAM does your PC have? Mine has 6 GB and is unfortunately limited to 8 GB capacity (Hardly worth upgrading for the sake of an extra 2 GB!)

Responding late to this, but while it seems a small upgrade, that is more than 33% additional RAM than you currently have, and so it might help a bit, depending on how much Windows 10 is using your hard drive for additional RAM/pagination file.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony Bensley said:
If you don't mind my asking, how much RAM does your PC have? Mine has 6 GB and is unfortunately limited to 8 GB capacity (Hardly worth upgrading for the sake of an extra 2 GB!)

Responding late to this, but while it seems a small upgrade, that is more than 33% additional RAM than you currently have, and so it might help a bit, depending on how much Windows 10 is using your hard drive for additional RAM/pagination file.

When we were at The Source outlet from where we purchased our now out of warranty 64 Bit Acer PC Laptops, I inquired about increased RAM. Much to my shock, I was told that upgrading was likely no longer possible (On a 3 year old system? Really?!!? Yes, I do have my suspicions regarding this, but never mind!)! However, they did suggest that we could try Boosting our speed with USB sticks, instead. As they had 16GB sticks at $5 a pop, we decided to give that a try. After doing a bit of online homework, I reformatted both FAT32 USB sticks to NTFS, in order to allow for the higher capacity maximum (Although obviously, our sticks can each only do half of the 32 GB!) and these are now both dedicated for Windows ReadyBoost.

While I realize that virtual RAM isn't exactly the same as installed RAM, if this prevents Windows Explorer Bog Downs, I think I'll be reasonably pleased!

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Harry-N said:

Tony,

This is a function of your video driver, so it may not be available on your laptop. Have a look in your Graphics properties and look for Hot Keys. Enable it if it's not already. Good luck!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Win10 can be a pain, it takes a while to adjust.

But wow. I'm the neighborhood IT guru with several people I help out. (Subtle hint, don't talk about your past) Seriously, just printing a PDF, scanning a document, etc. I'm going to start charging one of these days.

But OMG, their systems are so slow. I've got a pathetic 3MB DSL connection, since I refuse to go with Comcast. It's actually perfectly fine, I can watch TV shows, etc. no problem.

Yet these people have older Windows systems, so I'm helping them with band-aids. They complain how slow things are, even though they may have really high speed cable connections. Their PCs are loaded with crap, old OSs, it's sad.

Win10 is a major adjustment, but MS controls the world. Want to stay current, save your important files, wipe your system and start over.

"No, I do not work for MS" :lol:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well, my last post was one of those weird "don't brag about things" or it will come back and bite you in the ass. Now my touchpad doesn't work. Powered down, rebooted, etc. and nothing. The left/right buttons work, but have to use a USB mouse now.

The cursor first just disappeared, when rebooted it showed up but wouldn't move until I plugged in a mouse. I really hate computers sometimes. :eek:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well my touchpad is back, but it only works on the logon screen, which by the way I have no idea where that came up, just part of the first power-up last January.

But as soon as I put in my password, nothing. Have to go to a mouse. Do I have some goofy setting under my profile? It's obviously not a hardware issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Find your touchpad settings and look to see if it is toggled off. Also check for a hot key setting which can toggle it. There are some which can be disabled this way. My last true Windows laptop was an Acer which could have the touchpad disabled either through the touchpad console or through a keyboard hot key.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Find your touchpad settings and look to see if it is toggled off. Also check for a hot key setting which can toggle it. There are some which can be disabled this way. My last true Windows laptop was an Acer which could have the touchpad disabled either through the touchpad console or through a keyboard hot key.

Thank you. It worked. Way to obvious, but I couldn't find it, just needed your little hint. There about so many settings to go through, but the log file showed all kinds of messages from Sept. 13. Enabled, installed, re-installed, new driver downloaded.... I'd swear, I just look at my keyboard with a bad attitude and settings will change. Even now, going through "gigantic font syndrome". But control/+- somebody else mentioned takes care of that one.

And now the sucky mouse with its ridiculous tangled up cord goes back into storage :rock:

I have a true laptop once again, no cables hanging off of it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Still incredibly annoyed with Win 10.

My sound suddenly stopped working a few days ago. Went and checked all the settings, everything says "On, On, On", so it should be working.

Today I clicked on the little up arrow symbol in the lower right for "show hidden icons", get a little menu and the one for speakers is x'd out. Why do they do this stuff? It's like it's designed just to piss us off.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How are your speakers connected? I found my win10 PC, connected by HDMI, can get confused if it boots or comes out of sleep before the receiver is switched to its input. Then the speaker connection is lost and there's no sound. But a quick reboot fixes it. It's an HDMI handshake thing, I think, in my case.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
At least Canon has FINALLY fixed their scanner problem under Win10 - over a year later. Their "MF Toolbox" set of utilities stopped working upon upgrading from Win7 to Win10 back in Summer of 2015. Canon finally released a "patch" that solves the problem dated 7 Oct. 2016.

Update: I see the "patch" has been incorporated into the driver set on 14 Oc. 2016.
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...eclass/imageclass-d1120?tab=drivers&downloads

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Tony Bensley said:

As they had 16GB sticks at $5 a pop, we decided to give that a try.

Some totally useless trivia. When I was running mainframe systems back in the late '80s to mid '90s, we had a system with about 150 users connected, a Wang VS-100. Had 12 MB of RAM, yes that was megabytes, not giga.

Upgradeable to 16 MB, and it was over $5,000 for that final 4 MB circuit board, which was literally 2 1/2 by about 3 feet in size. Kind of reminds me of the old Apollo missions. Just a cheap phone today has more power than the computer systems they used.

Forget the phrase, but there was a physicist or somebody that stated technology would increase in certain increments over time. Although, also have heard we're getting close to the end with silicon based chips, down to the atom level where they physically can't go any further.

To make it official, quick Win10 question. I can do a "shutdown" on my laptop or just let it go to sleep. It reboots from a shutdown faster than it comes back from sleep. Is that a Win10 issue or just a hardware quirk? :cool:

I like to power down occasionally just to clear its brains out, maybe that's why. To much internet history and temp files that are still there when it comes back from sleep mode? May have just answered my own question, but didn't occur to me until I started putting it in writing.:rolleyes:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
To make it official, quick Win10 question. I can do a "shutdown" on my laptop or just let it go to sleep. It reboots from a shutdown faster than it comes back from sleep. Is that a Win10 issue or just a hardware quirk? :cool:

I like to power down occasionally just to clear its brains out, maybe that's why. To much internet history and temp files that are still there when it comes back from sleep mode? May have just answered my own question, but didn't occur to me until I started putting it in writing.

There may be more at work than just what you've stated. If I may ask, does your computer have an AMD video card? The reason I ask is that both the wife and I have laptops from HP. Hers is the more powerful, top of the line, i7 box - mine's just an i3. The other difference is that she has AMD video and I don't.

Her computer, from the moment she installed Windows 10, started to come back to life VERY slowly from hibernate mode, while mine is near instantaneous. Long story short, there are YouTube videos out there that can guide you step by step on what to fix in your registry to alleviate the problem. It worked for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks