What's new

Window tint to dim display? (1 Viewer)

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
The displays on my DVD player, receiver, etc. are starting to annoy me because they give off too much light. Has anyone ever used window tint to cut down on the brightness? Anyone know if IR commands will pass through the tint?

Anyone have any other suggestions for dimming displays?

Thanks!

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I don't see why it wouldn't work, as long as you cut a hole in front of the IR sensor. I'm pretty sure that without cutting the hole you would decrease the intensity of the IR receiver, reducing effectiveness and range. If your equipment was RF, you would have it made!

If you could get your hands on some of the peel-off static film that protect the display surfaces from scratching during shipment, it would make for a much cleaner and easier job.

My $.02!

Pete

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Chris, window tint wouldn't be the best idea as it can possibly damage the plastic on the front panel. If you look at tint instructions they will tell you not to use them on plastics as it may discolor them, actually I have seen it tried on acrylics & it turned them white.

Something to check for some components will allow you to dim the display or all together turn them off. I would make sure if you had this option first or like Pete said maybe try a static type tint.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reply's guys. Joe thanks for the warning about using regular tint on plastic, I wasn't aware that it could damage plastics.

I did some searching and it turns out that you can find static cling tint fairly easily. http://www.autobarn.net/rodi/chr8580.html has it and it's cheap. I am going to see if I can find some locally, I also saw some at Tap Plastics website that I am going to check out as well.

I only have one unit that I can turn the display off completely, my laserdisc player. I can dim my DVD player but it doesn't dim enough and I would still have some of my other components lit anyway. I am going to give the static tint stuff a shot, I will post back here and tell you all how it turns out.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’ve done it, and there’s no problem with the IR signals. They will pass right through, just like with glass.

However, Joe raises an interesting issue about the adhesive damaging the plastic window. If I remember I applied some tint to the backside of the pop-out display window of my JVC HR-S7500 S-VHS recorder back in ‘99 to tone-down the ridiculously bright display, and it still looks fine. The “secret,” if there is one, is that I just pealed and stuck the film. Since window tinting is usually applied with a solution of soapy water, it could be that a dry application doesn’t activate the full strength of the adhesive.

But if you don’t want to risk it, there are a couple of things you could try, depending on your component. You could cut it a little wide and use small pieces of black electrical tape to hold it down. If your room is dimly lit (like mine) and your component has a black face (ditto) no one will ever notice it.

Or, perhaps cut the piece of tint to fit, but expose the adhesive only at the fringe edges. This way if there is any discoloring, it won’t affect the display.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Some players have different levels for display. I think my previous Toshiba had two or three different levels of brightness. If I could remember correctly it could even be turned off even while watching a movie.

Reid_d

Grip
Walmart sells a static cling tint that should work. I wouldn't recommend using normal tint without using the soapy spray (a couple of drops of baby shampoo and water is normally used). Its only purpose is so you can maneuver the tint into place and then the solution is squeegied out. IR will pass through tint.

Mike Likens

Stunt Coordinator
I've used window tint before on a DVD player. Works great. Purchased roll at Kmart for $3. I'm not worried about damage to the plastic because I never plan to take it off.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I went to Tap Plastics yesterday and bought some static cling window tint (http://www.tapplastics.com/info/windowfilm.php?#tuff) I bought both the privacy (9% light transmission) and the gray film (46% light transmission). They sell it by the foot and the rolls are 3 to 4 feet wide so you will have a lot of extra. I bought both shades because I was afraid the privacy was going to be too dark.

I ended up using the privacy and it works great! It was very easy to install, just stick it on and then trim down the excess with a razor blade. I can still easily read the displays through the film and the remote codes go through with no problem at all.

If you want to dim your displays this is a very good and cheap solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks