What's new

Win a signed copy of The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection on DVD (1 Viewer)

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
I still laugh when I think about Carol's line in the "Went With The Wind" sketch when she comes down the stairs wearing the dress made from the drapes and rod:
"It was just something I saw in the window".
I also loved her Q&A with the audience. And any sketch with Tim breaking up Harvey. And so much more. It's too bad this kind of entertainment is no longer on TV.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I never missed The Carol Burnett Show growing up and it is a treasured memory.
Being a musical theater fan from a young age, I always looked forward to the "mini-musicals" they would do. I am so glad some of those were able to be included in the Columbia House DVDs because I just love seeing those again. Looking back at those as an adult, I am in awe of what they were able to achieve on a weekly basis. What a project to put all that music together, write the arrangements for the orchestra, learn the music, lines and choreography, and do it so well. Wow.
I may be in the minority, but I did enjoy Dick Van Dyke when he joined the show. It wasn't quite the same, no, but he seemed liked an old friend coming to join the party and I always enjoyed seeing him.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Tim Conway and Harvey Korman were my favorites (not just one character), because no matter what characters they played, they constantly cracked each other up. So, they cracked me up too. Sometimes they would have a hard time getting through the sketches, from laughing so hard at each other, and laughing is so contagious.................:D :D :D

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
My favorite parts were any skits where they were on the verge of loosing it. Which was quiite a lot of them :)
I loved seeing them try to keep a straight face and at the same time get the other actors to just break.
I don't remember the name of the scene, but I loved the one with Tim Conway talking about the elephant with nose trouble.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
So many sketches to choose from, but I'll have to say "Mildred Fierce", their parody of Mildred Pierce. Carol was a note perfect Joan Crawford, and Vicki was the epitome of a spoiled brat as Veda. You can tell how much of a classic movie fan Carol was by her sharp, but loving, send ups of old films.
Runner up would be her versions of Norma Desmond from "Sunset Boulevard." She acts completely unhinged, plus Harvey filled the Stroheim role perfectly.

adklz

Agent
Real Name
jim
I can't argue with any of the skits and characters already mentioned. The Family skits and Went With the Wind are classic. One of my favorite skits was Snow White with guest star Jack Gilford which featured some of Bob Mackie's wittiest costume designs. I also love to hear Carol Burnett sing. The medleys grew wearisome as the years rolled by. I didn't really get much satisfaction from two lines of this song and three words of that and so on, but occasionally Carol would just come out and sing. One number I would love to see again is "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" with Carol playing all three Andrews Sisters.
I love Carol Burnett and I can actually remember exactly when I fell for her. It must have been school vacation week because The Gary Moore Show was ordinarily on way past my bedtime. Peter Lawford was the guest star and there was a skit in which Carol played a reporter for a college newspaper who was interviewing him in his hotel room. In his presence she was acting cool and disdainful, but every time he left the room she went weak kneed and gaga over him. The skit ended with her carrying out his desk as a souvenir. My sister and I were rolling on the floor laughing. I only saw this once and I was quite young so I may not remember all the details exactly, but I do know that I've been in love with Carol ever since.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Another "Went With The Wind" as my all time favorite, that drape dress was just so perfect. Although I will also say that any sketch when Harvey Korman was doing anything he could to not totally break down laughing are golden. I could even kinda feel it as a kid watching, that whoever was in the scene with Harvey, especially Tim, were trying to throw him off to get him to crack up. And of course now seeing several interviews, they were trying to because he was such an easy one to "break" and they were having fun. But that sense of they were friends who liked to just have fun and be funny, really came thru the show and made it that much more fun to watch. Was absolutely hooked when I first saw it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Loved Harvey Korman, the guy always cracked me up. It was just always fun to see Carol and her crew do any sketch and I find it difficult to pick just one at the moment.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
For some reason, I always loved the Nazi interrogation sketch, when Tim Conway pulls out the Hitler puppet. ("You gonna give us the information?") Lyle is just fighting to keep it together, and I can only imagine what Harvey was doing offscreen. It gets more and more ridiculous, and before you know it, the Hitler puppet is singing "I've Been Working On the Railroad." And then it just keeps going. When Tim got going, you never knew what was going to happen.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
As I mentioned in another thread, it was "game night" at Eunice's (playing Sorry!) and Mama starts belittling Eunice...over and over...until she gets to the line "You've got splinters in the windmills of your mind!" (I believe it was a reference to the hit song, "Everybody's Talkin"") Another case of Carol being on the verge of losing it through a good chunk of the sketch!

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Love ALL the movie parodies and I would agree about Hitler puppet routine --it gets me every time!! I also love the Family sketch with Tim Conway telling the story of the "Siamese" elephants, joined at the trunk. I've loved Carol Burnett ever since the Gary Moore days -- the way she always gives total commitment to her performances is wonderful see!!!

Eunice and Mama. The skits were hilarious because the audience could identify with at least one of the family members. But they had something more than that...heart. Many scenes with Eunice and Mama were very touching, and had a depth to them that no other television skits have ever had.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
David Norman said:
Any of the Nora Desmond skits will do it for me.
Bed Bug Commercial, the Airplane Disaster spoof, The Roast,
Yes, the Airport '75 spoof with Carol doing double duty as Karen Black's stewardess and Nora Desmond:
Carol as Karen: "Please assume crash positions."
Carol as Nora: "Stand-in!"

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I haven't seem the show in decades but one character I remember was Tim Conway's old man. Actually, any thing Tim did was absolutely hysterical but the old man is one I remember quite clearly and was consistently funny.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
It's a Mr. Tudball - Ms. Wiggins skit when Rock Hudson comes calling, love-lorn for Ms. Wiggins; Mr. Tudball is mystified why such a big, handsome man like Rock is so smitten with his dim-bulb secretary....

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Without a doubt it would be the Mr Tudball and Miss Wiggins sketches. The comic genius of Carol playing the oblivious secretary always has me in stitches. Conway plays the funniest straight man ever.
Or course, all of the sketches are great. True comic genius.

Keith_inBR

Auditioning
I'd have to concur with many of the other posters. Mr Tudball and Miss Wiggins. Those sketches were classic in construction; the slow burn vs jumping the gun. The entire show was awesome. Being 45 years old now, I was 8-11 when i remember watching the show. I distinctly remember watching the last show, being told that it wasn't going to be on any more but not quite understanding, it's etched in my memory. Must see TV on Friday nights. It's been a shame that this show has fallen into a bit of obscurity regarding availability. I can't wait to get the big box set. They truly do not make this kind of television any more. This kind of show would not (nor could not) be made today. Instead we get endless hours of "reality tv" .And that is our loss.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The Gone with the Wind skit. It had the funniest ad lib busting up.

_william_

Grip
When Tim was a dentist with Harvey the patient. It seems like that gave him plenty of opportunities to ad-lib, which Tim was great at.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.