What's new

Win a copy of McLintock! (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
True Grit. A film that reminds me why I've always loved the escape of a good movie. Probably first saw this aroudn 1980. He and Darby play it perfect. One of my favorite pairings. The older I get, the harder it is to take Campbell though. I love his music, he LOOKS right in the role, but his acting is just kind of tolerable in this. He doesn't ruin the movie though... always sad when the credits roll.

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
I'll cast my vote for "The Searchers." I had watched in once before on HDDVD, but I decided to revisit it when this thread started.

I haven't seen many Wayne films, but I started buying Wayne films after first seeing this one. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed John Wayne. I grew up in the late '60's, and my impression of Wayne was formed primarily by impressions by John Byner and Rich Little. Early in my HD days, the visuals really blew me away, too. I encourage all to check out the supplements, including the Peter Bogdanovich commentary, which have all added to my appreciation of the film.

I may revise my choice after getting to my other Wayne films, but this film will always be up there with the best.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The Searchers. I had never really paid much attention to John Wayne films and was more familiar with the star than his roles. This great film was my true introduction to Wayne and is my favorite for that reason.

britx

Grip
Real Name
Brian
It's hard to pick a favorite, but mine would have to be "The Sons of Katie Elder". For me, it has the right blend of humor and action, with a little bit of mystery thrown in. And I really enjoy the music in the film.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Radioman970 said:
True Grit. A film that reminds me why I've always loved the escape of a good movie. Probably first saw this aroudn 1980. He and Darby play it perfect. One of my favorite pairings. The older I get, the harder it is to take Campbell though. I love his music, he LOOKS right in the role, but his acting is just kind of tolerable in this. He doesn't ruin the movie though... always sad when the credits roll.
From all accounts, Wayne couldn't stand Kim Darby. The studio wanted Mia Farrow, Wayne wanted Karen Carpenter, but they ended up with Kim Darby. I agree their chemistry is very good.

ScottGros117

Agent
Real Name
Scott Gros
My favorite John Wayne western is without a doubt The Searchers. Why? John Wayne gave his greatest performance as an actor in this film and John Ford's direction was spot-on. The cinematography is lustrous and the story is very well written.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
John Maher_289910 said:
From all accounts, Wayne couldn't stand Kim Darby. The studio wanted Mia Farrow, Wayne wanted Karen Carpenter, but they ended up with Kim Darby. I agree their chemistry is very good.
Which goes to show you just what a good actor he was. It was true that he and Kim Darby did not get along, and personally did not care for each other...but you'd never know that from their scenes together. He also did not care for Geraldine Page in Hondo, but again...never know it from watching that film.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
their dislike brought the best out of them. reminds me of the story of Vincent Price and director Michael Reeves on Witchfinder General. Great stuff.

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Tough call on which to pick as a favorite, but since I didn't see it mentioned by anyone else, I guess I'll go with Rio Lobo. Have always enjoyed films/mini-series that take place during the Civil War. Of course, this one starts up during that time period and then follows up with what happens to the characters after the war has ended.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My favorite John Wayne western is 'Rio Grande'. It's my favorite for a somewhat silly reason. You see, the spot where much of 'Rio Grande' was filmed is a spot where I've spent some time. The spot where the fort/post in 'Rio Grande' was located was actually along the Colorado River just outside of Moab, Utah. That exact site is now occupied by a very nice rustic hotel called the Red Cliffs Lodge. My wife and I have stayed at the Red Cliffs several times and I've shot quite a few photographs in the area. I printed one of those photographs and it hangs in the hallway of our home. So, when I watch 'Rio Grande', I am instantly reminded of our many memories spent enjoying, literally, the same spot where the movie was filmed!

Here's a shot of the Colorado River in the opening title of 'Rio Grande'.

i-HXHPcGH.jpg

And here's a shot I took from along the same side of the river, only a few hundred feet to the south and with my camera pointed a bit more to the east (thus, cutting off the right side of the second bluff in the distance).

i-gTjDb8V.jpg

My photo was actually taken from the patio of the Red Cliffs Lodge. I HIGHLY recommend a visit if you are ever in Moab.

Mark

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I came late to getting to know John Wayne films and even to loving westerns in general, and there are many of his I've yet to see. Even among those I have gotten to know, I'm hard put to pick a favorite. There honestly isn't one I haven't liked, but oh hell, let's keep it short and simple. I'll go with The Searchers, for the great story and the incredible character played by Wayne. That's my answer and I'm sticking to it (for at least the next twelve hours).

Dean Kloss

Agent
The Searchers by far!!!! This movie can be watched over and over without ever getting sick of it. I have probably seen it at least 30-40 times and I still see things I never saw before. The blu-ray print is absolutely beautiful!!!!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
John Maher_289910 said:
Karen Carpenter…of the Carpenters? I can't imagine her in the role, did she ever have an acting job? Of course if she got the job, they probably would have had a matching set in her and Glen Campbell.

I shouldn't be so snippy about those two, but Glen kinda stands out in the movie, and not in a good way. Damn, there I go again. I bet if I had got Campbell's roll, you guys would be snippy about me. ;)

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Yes, Karen Carpenter of The Carpenters. This was before they hit it big, and he judged a college talent show, and was so impressed with her, that he suggested she play the role in the film. I have no issue with Glen Campbell.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That is interesting, about Carpenter. I'd like to have seen that.

With Glenn, he's not a total loss. But there are several scenes that make me cringe. Like the one where he's talks about stealing a kiss. I would have loved to see her crack him across the face with a chair. And those chairs back then were sturdy! Not like today's chairs! That would have gotten the point across. GET SOME ACTING LESSONS GLENN!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
RIO BRAVO. One of my favorite movies of all time. My Grandfather loved John Wayne and his enthusiasm carried over to me. Excited to get the Criterion RED RIVER.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Rio Bravo is a good western, but I could never understand the praised that is heaped on the film. Sure, there are some wonderful scenes. But film just goes on for way too long with a lazy type of story telling. Scenes that could have gotten its point across in 1 minute, is told on 5 minutes. In my opinion, the following year's The Horse Soldiers is a much better film.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I can agree with that, but I just love the characters in RIO BRAVO so much, that I don't mind them talking their time.

Users who are viewing this thread