Win a copy of McLintock!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rick CHO

Rick CHO Extra

The Searchers. John Wayne not playing John Wayne, John Ford, & Monument Valley. 'nuff said.

2. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

It is an almost impossible task for me to select just a single JW western to rate as a favorite. Basically, I'll have to pick one out of the dozens I could list...so here goes:

The Shepherd Of The Hills

This was Duke's first color film, and also first directed by longtime pal Henry Hathaway. At its core is an intense human drama played out between John Wayne and Harry Carey. Add on top of that some of the best character actors of the 1940s (and an absolutely stunning Betty Field), and there you have my favorite John Wayne western.

At least that is how I'm feeling right now... :)

3. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    I guess my favorite John Wayne western would be The Searchers because I have always identified with Ethan Edwards. A runner up would be Rio Lobo, as I have always found it a lot of fun and I saw it with my father at a drive in back in the early 1970s. Thanks Paramount!

4. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    The Searchers for me, one of the Duke's better performances IMO and the story line draws me in. A beautiful filmed movie also.

5. theonemacduff

theonemacduff Second Unit

Jon Paul
    The Searchers is great, but I've always had a soft spot for a couple of late Waynes, The Shootist, and The Cowboys, with the latter edging out the former by a millimeter or so. Plaudits to Paramount for going back to the negs to create their McClintock. If you look at the caps over at that other Blu-Ray site, it seems fairly clear that the Olive disc was mastered from a print, and, good as it was, the Paramount beats it for detail and for contrast.

6. Ed Moroughan

Ed Moroughan Second Unit

Edward R. Moroughan
    I'd have to say Rio Bravo. The relationships between the Duke and the supporting players makes that movie as good as it is. Dean Martin is a great sidekick, Ricky Nelson coming in as the newbie gunman, Angie Dickinson sexing the place up, and old reliable Walter Brennan grumping the whole runtime. The villains kind of fall flat but the interplay and dialogue make up for that slack. Even though it is a throwback in filmmaking I always do enjoy the song scene, "My Rifle, My Pony and Me." Old (?) Hollywood at the top of their game!

SAhmed likes this.
  7. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    Trying to pick your favorite John Wayne western is something that really causes deep thought There are so many of his films in that genre that are great on different levels. I have narrowed it down to three to help narrow it down to one. The three are STAGECOACH, FORT APACHE, and THE SEARCHERS. Interesting that that while all three are different in so many ways, the three are directed by John Ford. So after some thought I will have to say my “favorite” Wayne western is FORT APACHE! Wayne grew as an actor in this role. His portrayal of a 60 something Calvary officer about to retire while watching his replacement start to make mistakes through arrogance that will end up disaster, but through the loyalty of Calvary he cannot interfere, is just good acting. The John Ford players were also at their peak and Wayne and the secondary actors were so into their parts that it played smoothly. Then the location shots were breathtaking. All around just good entertainment without flaws.

8. SteveSs

SteveSs Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    Another vote for "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance." A great story, with great actors, playing great parts, directed by a great man. Except for that newspaper editor who grinds my gears with his overacting. But maybe Ford intended that.

9. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Rio Bravo, but not because of Wayne. Wayne is good, but everyone else is fantastic.

Rodney and Ed Moroughan like this.
  10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Your description is the wrong John Ford Calvary Trilogy film.

11. ScottHM

ScottHM Second Unit

Scott
    My favorite John Wayne western is The Searchers. I think it's one of Wayne's best performances and I enjoy his frequent "that'll be the day" proclamations.

---------------

12. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I'd have to go with The Searchers as my favorite John Wayne film. A complex, unpredictable character.

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

My favorite? The one I last watched: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

I had temporarily forgotten how beautiful Vera Miles was. But it's hard to forget the pitch-perfect performances by this great cast. (And the UK Blu-ray has a beautiful image!)

[​IMG]

14. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Calvary Trilogy=Three crosses on Mt. Golgotha. :eek:
    I know spellcheck doesn't catch this typing mistake. I just found it somewhat (not blasphemously) amusing.

15. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    This one thanks to Maureen O'Hara. Don't see much of her in Big Jake or even Rio Grande.

16. Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey Screenwriter

Chuck Anstey
    I'm going to have to go with Big Jake. I realize it isn't well thought of but I found it to be entertaining and I like John Wayne as the older voice of experience. Plus it is almost a heist type of film with plans within plans for the final confrontation.

17. David Norman

David Norman Cinematographer
    Supporter

The Shootist

Incredibly good performances from Wayne and Lauren Bacall. Sad portrayal of a lonely dying man (by a dying man) and lonely surviving widow
    finding some happiness in small ways with each other.

Pretty good job from Ron Howard particularly at the end when he realizes that the thing he idolizes wasn't so nice afterall and his
    hero was still his hero, but for a completely different reason than he originally thought.

Anything with Jimmy Stewart

SAhmed and David Weicker like this.
  18. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Second Unit

Jack Walder
    This is a tough one for me, too.
    So many I really enjoy.
    But I guess I'd go with The Searchers.
    An absolutely classic western.

19. jim_falconer

I love this film too, but always zip past the kidnapping at the start. Really kinda gruesome for a JW film. I enjoy starting the film as Duke is staring down his rifle.

20. jim_falconer

Really well summary of this great film. Certainly a top 10 candidate on most John Wayne enthusiast's lists...