What's new

WIn 98/ME and PC games. (1 Viewer)

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Now that XP is out will future pc games no longer be compatible with Windows 98 and ME? How long do you think it will take for game designers to drop the Windows 98 platform and go exclusively XP? I bought one of those Intel wireless gamepads several months back and it's software is not compatible with XP. The product has now been discontinued and I paid too much money for it to dump it so soon.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Wont happen anytime soon my friend. Developers are still catering to people who have Voodoo 3's and TNT2's. Those are years old graphics cards. XP isn't going to change what developers support in terms of OS. XP will just be added to long list of supported OS's. If anything the question should be when will all developers move full swing to XP support (although most are already doing so:))

Jacob_St

Second Unit
What a relief! Thanks Romier I was getting worried! I don't why I'm so happy now that I think about it. I'm stuck with Windows Me for the foreseeable future. Oh well, I'll live. Thanks again.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Hey, the Voodoo 3 was a highly under rated graphics card. ;) Yep, still using one in my ancient PC.
-Dan B

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Hey, the Voodoo 3 was a highly under rated graphics card
For its time Dan it was an excellent card and the best on the market. Unfortunately (or fortunately:D) its time has passed.
PS. So you do any gaming on your PC Dan? If so you can upgrade that card for next to nothing these days.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I have a TNT2 and it works great! I paid a hell of a lot for it too...more than 2 years ago (has it really been that long...)

Seriously, take a look at how lond Win 95 stuck on the supported OS list-I think that it still is for a lot of things. You should be fine with 98 for a while (I'm not upgrading until I have to at this point).

On a semi-related note though-the new ATI AIW card doesn't support 98 anymore. Looks like a sweet piece of Hardware too...

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Right here: Link Removed
Note the section that says:
Operating system support
Windows® Me
Windows® 2000
Windows® XP
Too bad for those of us running 98...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks