What's new

Will we ever get China Beach on DVD? (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
No word yet. It's probably a music rights issue, but with Miami Vice coming out with its original music, you have reason to hope.

My question, why isn't Dana Delaney a superstar? (Probably because of that stupid Anne Rice movie).

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I ask that question all the time Larry. Same with Marg Hellgenburger. These actresses were amazing on the show and should be up on the big screen by now.

Do hope to see this show eventually but considering we are the only two people that have posted, maybe there isnt interest enough.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
we had a small China Beach discussion a few months ago. there's a few of us that are interested. in my opinion, season four was some of the best stuff ever done on TV.

i've got them all on video but unfortunately, many are from when the show was syndicared on Lifetime. i'm waiting for this and Thirtysomething.

Jeffrey*C

Auditioning
i think i lost hope for this show ever being released. :frowning:
what i wouldn't give to have the entire series ...
but since this is the first thread that actually came up that had China Beach in the title, i guess not many people even care or even know about this amazing show.
and with all the music rights thing...
so yeah, i think i lost my last bit of hope.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I'd buy China Beach in a minute, but the problem is the music. It used a great deal of "classic" popular music.

sullum

Agent
Real Name
Sam
There is no series (IMHO) more deserving of a release than China Beach. Along with it's depiction of the Vietnam War I really can't think of a series that accurately depicts the "60's" better. I think I get a real since of the era from the stories told from this remote locale than if the story took place in the US. The music, for better or worse, HAS to be included because it is a complete character in the series, as much a part as the stories and the human characters.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I really enjoyed China Beach during it's original run. I don't recall it being popular for syndication, which may have something to do with the fact there were only 62 episodes across a 4 year run. And as has been stated many times, this one needs the original music intact which obviously is part of the issue. This appears to be a Warner title. As such it is one I would pay the extra for if it ever managed to come out in its MOD program. They could probably do it in 4 release volumes.

sullum

Agent
Real Name
Sam
The show has another problem besides the music issues. It's owned by Fox. Enough said.

Warner's logo ends each episode. How do you know that Fox owns it now? Just curious.

Thanks

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
You could always get the best part of this show on optical disc.

Buy a Supremes music CD with Reflections on it. :)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The music rights issues aside, it would have been good to see China Beach released on DVD this year, what with Dana Delany's new series Body of Proof starting in the US on ABC soon.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Count me in for CHINA BEACH, one of the better "newer" TV shows. Maybe if the powers that be would stop being so greedy and realize that by granting access to those old classic 60's songs in the soundtrack, it would only improve sales overall (Could turn a whole new younger generation onto Motown and 60's rock, as well as history). Dana Delaney and Marg Helgenberger are better than most of today's movie actresses.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Even if some of the music was subsitituted, would China Beach be a good suggestion for a Warner Archive release?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Ironically, some of the very music that's probably holding up any release of CHINA BEACH on DVD was released as a soundtrack album in support of the series.

6c818b3e_241ea2c008a0bf1cbf425010.L.jpg

1. Reflections - Diana Ross & The Supremes

2. Theme From 'China Beach' - The China Beach Orchestra/ Tommy Moragan

3. Dialogue - Spoken

4. We Gotta Get Out Of This Place - Katrina & The Waves

5. !! - Sound Effects

6. Piece Of My Heart - Janis Joplin With Big Brother & The Holding Co..

7. Time Of The Season - Wendy Wall

8. !! - Sound Effects

9. Lonely to Long - The Rascals

10. Dialogue - Dr. John Whitley

11. Stand by Me - John Lennon

12. A Reason To Believe - Wilson Phillips

13. Wheelchair Ballet - Greg Goggins And Scott Emmerman

14. Dialogue - Bill 'Ziggy' Siegesmund

15. You're All I Need To Get By - Marvin Gaye With Tami Terrell

16. Dialogue - Kathy Ruhl

17. Hang On Sloopy - The McCoys

18. Far From Home - Dana Delany

19. !! - Sound Effects

20. Dialogue/ With A Little Help From My Fiends - Betsy Jackson/China Beach Orch.

21. !! - Sound Effects

I bought the CD years ago and still have it.

Harry

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Is this China Beach CD soundtrack still available to buy Harry?

Love Hang on Sloopy by The McCoys.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by WaveCrest
Is this China Beach CD soundtrack still available to buy Harry?

Love Hang on Sloopy by The McCoys.
It's surely out of print, but there are used copies easily obtainable. Check the usual sources.

Harry

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Harry-N
It's surely out of print, but there are used copies easily obtainable. Check the usual sources.

Harry
I thought the album had been re-released a few years ago, but that may have been when the CD version was available. Checked Amazon.com and it says on the CD soundtack's listing page it was released in 1990. There are used copies available on Amazon.com Marketplace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks