What's new

Will there be another "Vertigo" release soon? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Job

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Job
My copy of Vertigo finally gave up the ghost last week. (It was the first release with the orange poster on the cover). I am debating buying the current single disk release as I don't want to purchase the Hitchcock boxset. Does anyone know if there will be a single disk version of Vertigo from the boxset released soon, or am I safe to go out and purchase the current version without buying it again in a few months?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The "current release" you just mentioned is the same exact disc from 1997 except with different (and inferior IMHO) cover art, it might also be out of print (I haven't checked lately).

Also there has been no news in regard to a separate issue of the Masterpiece Collection edition of Vertigo. I've often stated that Criterion should go after this title but I doubt that will happen.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
The edition of Vertigo in the Universal box set is so technically superior to the previous single-disc versions that it's almost like watching a different film. I was astonished at the difference when I invested in the box recently - it's a much greater improvement than can be accounted for just by the fact that the new version is anamorphic.

If you love Vertigo as much as I do, you owe it to yourself to get the box set!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I have a weird feeling in my guts that we'll see HD-DVD / Blu-Ray editions
of some Hitch next year - which will be the 50th Anniversay of Vertigo. I have the velvet Hitch box and love it, but for the sake of others, I wish that all those remastered titles were available seperately. The Birds looks vastly superior, to the point where I didn't find the matte shots distracting, as it is really the excessive grain that used to bother me. Universal's transfers have came on leaps and bounds since around 2004.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'm betting we'll see a 50th Anniversary of Vertigo, but that's next year.... if you love the film even half as much as I do, get the Masterpiece Collection NOW and enjoy it.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Agreed. While Universal will be somewhat quick to putting out the big "4" on HD-DVD (Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho, and The Birds), it'll probably take quite a while for Shadow of a Doubt, Rope, The Trouble with Harry, Marnie, and Frenzy. Probably wouldn't be too much demand for Saboteur, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Topaz, Torn Curtain, or Family Plot, though.

The box set is one of my favorite DVD sets. Really, Universal's film collections are awesome if just for getting so many films for a low price.

ReggieW

Screenwriter

I agree.

I am willing to bet that we'll see these "big 4" on HD-DVD sometime next year. We do know ( as the Digital Bits reported) that Universal had initially planned to release The Birds & Psycho in September as Legacy titles, but decided to wait. I'm so happy with the current SD-DVD of Vertigo, I couldn't even begin to imagine how sensational it would look in HD!

Ivy Mike

Agent
Real Name
Jordan

Totally agree with you there.

Re: the Masterpiece set, it's great and especially at that price.

Thane101

Agent
Real Name
Ethan
I have been putting off buying the Hitchcock set for one reason... I want it in Hi-Def.

It will be just my luck when they announce that it wont be out for quite a few more years. I love Vertigo to death, but this has lead to me watching too many times, maybe it's best if I wait.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
IIIRC Vertigo is a dvd rot affected title.

And yes the colors are misrendered in the opening (its supposed to start monochrome but the anamorphic Universal has Kim Novak's face as being orange!). Otherwise I'm unaware of any problems with the transfer.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
My first DVD of Vertigo stopped playing years ago (in 2002 or 3). Unfortunately the boxed set hadn't been released yet, so I purchased another copy, threw away the packaging (with that hideous cover) and placed it in the keep case with the original (more or less) poster art.

I have since bought the the velvet covered boxed set (and it's also one of my favorite DVD sets) with the vastly improved Vertigo disc (which also allows me to hear the original mono track--which I infinitely prefer [sorry Mr. Harris--but I am eternally grateful for the visual work you did on this film]). However, I've held on to the earlier disc for the sole reason of the botched opening title sequence on the remastered version.

I'm hoping that if the remastered Vertigo ever gets a single disc release that the correct opening (with the expressionless face drained of color) will be used. I suspect, however that this might be it for SD DVD. And I'm holding out on an HD format until Criterion starts releasing discs.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
The other night I watched Vertigo again (the edition from the boxed set) and as usual watched it with the original mono track. However, not being able to get the Herrmann music out of my head, last night I started to watch the film again, but this time with the 1996 track and I realized that my main problem with the new foleys is that they don't sound incorporated into the soundtrack as a whole. They sound separate from the dialogue which gives them more prominence than they should have (it's not a volume thing--though I do find that the volume for the dialogue is a little low on the 1996 track--it's more akin to the problem with dubbing/looping dialogue; it creates a disconnect). I'm wondering if this is something that could be corrected in the future?

Also, there's oddly one sound effect missing. Early in the film when Scottie sits down on Midge's day bed, on the original track you can hear the sound of the springs/mattress as he sits; on the 1996 track there's nothing.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Sure. Stick with the mono track and listen to the soundtrack on CD when you need a Herrmann fix. :D I've got three different recordings of the score (the original conducted by Muir Matheson, one conducted by Joel McNeely, and one conducted by James Conlon), and I love 'em all. I avoid the '96 track altogether.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Due to the poor quality of the existing mono track, I wouldn't recommend doing this at all. It would be my original hope that Universal would at least give it a good declicking but I don't think thats ever going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks