What's new

Will there be a Ferris Bueller SE? (1 Viewer)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I think Ebert is merely saying that there are many people who don't know much about film besides relatively recent releases like Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Total Recall and that if they liked those films, they might enjoy Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Metropolis as well.

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator
"When people say that their favourite movies are 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' and 'Total Recall', I wonder what they would think of 'M. Hulot's Holiday, or 'Metropolis'. I say this not to be a movie snob..." To which I would reply, but you ARE being a snob by talking about those movies like that. That was one of the most pompous, arrogant things I've ever seen him write.
How could that possibly be the most pompous arrogant thing you've ever seen Ebert write?

Dude, a movie critic's job is to try and get people to watch good movies, and maybe even help some people avoid bad movies. Given that a lot of people don't watch "classic" movies for one reason or another, but many of them would enjoy them if given the chance, I don't see how what he actually said is remotely unreasonable. "If you liked 'Ferris Bueller', you should watch 'M. Hulot's Holiday'." You may not like the assumption that somebody whose favorite movie is 'Total Recall' probably hasn't done too much research into less-recent movies, but based on experience, that seems true. He didn't bad-mouth either movie; it's not like he said "If your favorite movie is 'Blue Crush', you're retarded," he just said, if these are some recent movies you'd like, there are other, older movies which are similar which you might like.

I'd think you had a point if this were his actual review of 'Ferris Bueller'; were he to say "Hey, sure, this movie's fine or whatever, but if you're stupid enough to like it, here's a list of movies which are better, which i list not to be a film snob, but merely to feel smarter than you," then, yeah, you'd have a point. But he's writing an introduction to a section about classic films; as such, it seems entirely appropriate.

Besides, the co-host of his show cites 'Bueller' as his #3 movie of all-time; obviously, Ebert is able to treat him with respect.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Features:

Getting The Class Together - The Cast of Ferris Bueller

The Making Of Ferris Bueller's Day Off: Production Stories

Who Is Ferris Bueller?

The World According to Ben Stein

Vintage Ferris Bueller

Class Album

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
So no deleted footage?

I thought if they didn't present the 'radio station' scene as a deleted scene, we'd at least get to see some of it in the trailer...

Still, it'll be nice to have those documentaries (and a new transfer?).

"This isn't over yet buster, do you read me?"

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Originally posted by Johnathan:
There wasn't a trailer on the first DVD.

Right, but the first release wasn't called a Special Edition; the first release wasn't a 2-disc set; the first release had more of an excuse not to have the trailer. Again, I'm sick to damn death of so-called Special Editions leaving off the most essential extra feature--the trailer.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
But keep in mind that when Ferris first came out on DVD a trailer for the movie was considered standard issue on a DVD release. Since Paramount didn't put it on the first release, it doesn't surprise me that they left it off this release.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Is this your long-winded way of saying I shouldn't be pissed? If so, it's not working. It was bad to leave the trailer of the standard issue, but unconscionable to leave it off a Special Edition, nuff said.

Haden

Supporting Actor
These specs are pretty weak for a 2-disc special edition. No deleted scenes or trailer, and to top it off it looks like we don't even get a commentary track. They could have at least included the existing commentary by Hughes from the old DVD so we don't have to hold onto that disc. Jeez... we wait this long for an SE and it's a huge letdown. How can they justify making this a 2-disc set with so few extras? That making-of documentary better be an hour or more.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
All this premature bitching... and once again before official word on specs. So often, people fill these threads with complaints only to find they are unfounded when official word comes down.
While there has been no complete and official word on specs, and I can't confirm the presence of a trailer... a preview for this release (found on other upcoming Paramount releases that I'm reviewing) specifically mentions deleted scenes.
Can we all wait to hear official word before lynching the studio heads?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks