What's new

Will Theaters Be Extinct In 10-15 Years? (1 Viewer)

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"...the comparisons to the death throes of the music industry aren't valid. Piracy kills the music industry because people can get almost exactly what they used to have to buy for free. Sure, I'd prefer to own a "real CD", but the music is the same with similar enough quality for most."

Rumors of the death of the music industry have been greatly exaggerated. According to this page:
The Long Tail: Everything in the music industry is up! (except those plastic discs)
by Chris Anderson, author of The Long Tail and editor-in-chief of Wired Magazine, every aspect of the music industry (other than CDs) is up.
Concerts/merchandise -- 4%
Digital tracks -- 46%
Ringtones -- 86%
Licensing has grown by about 20 million $
CDs are down by 18%, but online sites like CDbaby report sales of physical CDs are UP by 35%.

This hardly sounds like an industry in its death throes. It sounds like an industry that is being redefined, and the people complaining the loudest are those hanging onto outmoded business models.

By extension, and getting back on topic, the theatrical exhibition business may change (ads, anyone?), but there will always be people who want to get out for an evening's entertainment.

Jonesy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Geoff
I think there's a good chance that many cinemas will go bankrupt as a result of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars switching to digital (video) projection.

Those costs will not be recouped by increased ticket sales. Digital projection doesn't help with the things that moviegoers complain most about: disruptive audiences, ticket cost, screen ads, and lousy movies.

Technically, while digital projection does provide an improvement over lousy 35mm projection, it can't hold a candle to proper 35mm projection. But the fact of the matter is that most audiences don't notice a difference one way or the other.

Jonesy
Movie Theatre Reviews

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Well, it shouldn't be an issue of lackadaisical employees - it's AMC policy to admit outside food, so if they give you a hard time, it goes against company dictates...

Doro

Agent
I've been anti-theatre since I created my own. I just got sick of the noise and people I guess, not a particular theatre.

However, there are some movies that HAVE to be seen on the big screen. I have a modest HT so that's the case for me. Transformers was the first movie to get the cobwebs off me in awhile.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I cant see them going away either, but to the point of the cost, we have been to quite a few movies this week too while I am off until the 3rd and it amazes me what people buy while at the concession stand!!! Dont get me wrong I like to eat like the next person but yesterday while waiting to see Sweeney Todd (Yeah, me too), I went to the consession stand to get a drink (small is a rip off @ $3, med is a joke too for $.50 more so they force you to buy a large @$4.50!!!) and their was a lady and her kids in front of me and another on the right, the lady on the right dumped $57 in stuff and the one on front of me dropped $38!! WTH, go out and eat before the show and get real food! I mean $10 (total for tics, matinee) for two adults to see a show is ok in a newer nice updated theater, but $40-50 on concession stuff, WOW!

And while on the subject of lackadaisical employees, I though that was all they hired at shows nowadays??

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The college years have left my bladder absolutely shot. It came to a head during the infamous Goblet of Fire screening. I ordered a small soda and had to pee four separate occasions and again when the film got out. I'm not talking about uncomfortable need-to-pee. I'm talking about physical pain from the exertion of holding back the pee level of need-to-pee. Talk about mortifying. Since then I have never had a soda at the movie theater, for reasons of my own dignity as much as consideration for my fellow patrons.

This is all TMI, I know, but your rant made me reminisce.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I love the energy of a big opening. Being in L.A. for the last few years and seeing AOTC, Spider-Man, The Matrix Reloaded, The Two Towers, etc. open ... there's just a really cool tangible buzz that you feel around the theater.

I will say though as I'm from Canada, generally in regular cinemas people are better behaved here during the movie itself. Though you still get some cell phone abusers.

But ArcLight and Graumann's in Hollywood ... is heaven. I loved going to see movies there. The Universal City boardwalk is very nice too.

My coolest theater experience was The Phantom Menace, for the opening midnight showing we were let in at 7 PM, and the place was packed, news crews outside, inside the theater it was a really jovial and fun atmosphere. People were bouncing around a huge beachball to strangers, others were playing board games in the aisle, etc. When the lights went down there was a huge cheers even for all the trailers.

I don't see this in the US as much, but in Canada most theaters have a arcade/game area as well.

That said for drinks the one time I ordered a large drink was for A.I. .... and my bladder almost exploded waiting for that movie to end, lol.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't understand how people can afford concerts, especially when you can buy a $10 CD and enjoy it for the next 20 years. :)

People have long been able to make better quality, cheaper food at home, yet they continue to eat out at expensive restaurants. It's all about personal preference and budget.

I think the biggest threat to theaters is Video on Demand: I was amazed at the selection of free movies through my parents' cable service. There were hundreds of recent movies available for free viewing anytime. And then there is another large selection of $5 "rentals"; why go to a theater or Blockbuster when you can get the movie from your cable box?

That said, most people do not, and will never, have a AV system to rival even a mediocre theater. More importantly, people just want to get out of the house. Sometimes (many times?) a family is tired of being in their home and want to get out; a theater is pretty easy and affordable way to have a few hours entertainment outside.

So I don't see movie theaters vanishing for a while.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Ticket prices at major NYC theaters went to $11.75 just before the holidays ($12 at Regal Cinemas on Fridays and Saturdays). So those prices look pretty reasonable from here. :)

The only real bargain is AMC, which still offers $6 tickets for pre-noon shows on Fridays, weekends and holidays. But you have to be willing to work your schedule around a morning show.

M.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

My girlfriend and I actually decided to hit one of those before noon matinees but when we were in line the dog groomer called and the dog had bit her so we had to leave (I couldn't stand that dog before this incident and he's certainly not getting any better). We're going to try again tomorrow since there's not an AMC theater in Louisville so I have to use the GC here in Cincy.

As for the concert ticket prices, I think it goes back to what I said earlier about how much and how badly I want to see something or someone. I $80 each for my three Dylan shows this fall but I'd probably pay $200. I've paid $125 to see Aerosmith but turned my back when tickets went to $250 a couple years ago and this is after seeing them nine times before. Thankfully my girlfriend at the time bought the tickets after I refused. :) The Rolling Stones were about $200 each and I would have paid more.

When it comes to movies today, very few outside of Scorsese make me willing to pay the $8. We have a classic movie series here each summer where tickets are $5 (or a pass for $35) and you get a drink and popcorn for $5 extra dollars. Last year it was all Hitchcock and I would have paid $10 to see these films. I just can't bring myself to pay the $9-$12 for something like AvsP, which I might not like and can eventually get it for $1.

Plus, the home theater has kept me home mostly due to the screaming kids, cell phones and everything else that goes on in a real theater. That second run theater I talked about earlier is never busy so I'll probably start going there more often. Art house crowds aren't too bad either but I'd crack if I paid $9 to see some blockbuster and the kids behind me kept crying/talking the whole movie. My girlfriend and I went to see HALLOWEEN earlier this year and there were two sets of small children in front and behind us.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Travis. I don't know about that. My screen is big enough at 150" diagonal and, depending on the source material, can look substantially [IMO] better than the local Cineplex.

I don't see commercial theaters going anywhere either, but my visits to them have become quite infrequent.

John

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Not the same thing. I go to 35-40 concerts a year, and these are mostly expensive acts for whom I travel - I'm not going to 40 local club shows. I still manage to afford it, even on a public school employee's salary! :)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
They still have theaters? :D

Seriously, I rarely go, for all the reasons mentioned, crowds, sticky floors, and I prefer seeing it in the comfort of my own home, being able to pause it if I have to go to the bathroom, or want to get a snack, or if something important comes up, (family crisis, what have you).

I usually only go for special occassions or specil releases that I feel in the mood to see. For example, I may go to see Natl Treas 2 on New Years, earliest morning shows, (which helps with the crowd issue). Of course, gotta watch NT1 tonight or tomorrow.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I think you will see the larger theater companies (AMC, Cinemark and Regal) start to go after the "premium" moviegoer with things like screening rooms with full THX sound system certification and Kodak projector certification, digital projection, more comfortable seating and better concessions. Also, with these "premium" screening rooms (which will strictly ban any moviegoer under 17 regardless of MPAA film rating), we may see theatrical runs of "director's cuts" of movies not so fettered by cuts to meet MPAA ratings or time considerations.

Sure, it may end up costing US$15-US$17 per ticket, but when you get top-notch presentation of the movie with really comfortable seating people are willing to pay for such an experience. :cool:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Ray. Interesting theory, but do you ever think a commercial theater will be able to compete with the litany of extras on some of the better DVD's? Of course the theaters get the films well in advance, but waiting for the DVD release no longer even bothers me. I just ignore all of the TV advertising. As far as sound and picture quality are concerned, I think we've already reached the point where this has become academic.

We all have some need for social interaction, and to that extent, theaters are a necessary outlet. I would welcome your ideas on how to limit that interaction to cut down on the problems associated with moviegoing, but I don't know if theaters will ever willingly restrict their own ticket sales.

All I can say is "thank God for Home Theater!"

John

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Audience intereraction is a huge reason why theatres will always be around. I don't care how funny a movie is.. without a large audience with you it isn't as rewarding. Same with any type of picture. With the right audience, sitting at home with a few people cannot even compare.

Brad M

Second Unit
We have an IMAX here in Tulsa and that place has spoiled me! After seeing Beowulf in 3D there, I hope that type of event continues to happen. Other than that the experience at home is much better than the normal theaters. The one thing that annoys me is the surround is always hit and miss. Sometimes it's like they never turned it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks