Will the New Intel Macs be Able to "import" Microsoft Word Documents...?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Arthur S, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Let's say I have thousands of documents backed up by a remote back-up service. If I bought one of the new Macs with the Itel processor, would I be able to "import" these documents to the Mac?

Thanks

2. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    This has nothing to do with the CPU in the system, but the application to open the documents with. Microsoft Office has existed on the Mac for a long time and will continue to exist for a long time, namely at least 5 years, which is what they announced at the recent SF Macworld.

Of course, if you're talking about *getting* these documents from the backup service via the Mac, that's something that can't be answered without details about how that service works. If they need their own proprietary client software to access the files and they don't provide a Mac client, then probably not.

-Christian

3. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Mac OS X reads .doc files natively. They can be opened, modified and saved back to their original format with TextEdit or AppleWorks (both included with the OS) or Microsoft Office ($$$).

4. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

AppleWorks is included with current PowerPC-based consumer Macs -- but for whatever reason, does not appear to be included with the iMac [Intel Core Duo].

5. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

OpenOffice.org (which is free) can read Word documents. There is an OS X port available.

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    another vote for openoffice.org, whatever operating system you use.

CJ

7. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Not to worry. I believe that Microsoft will have available by this Spring an updated Macintosh version of Microsoft Office that works specifically with Intel-based Macintoshes. [​IMG]

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Until then, doesn't the current version run OK through Rosetta, although slower?

9. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
    We got one of the new Intel iMacs at the office this past week and Office 2004 doesn't seem to run any slower than on the G5 iMacs we have. I would expect the next version of Office to run faster though once it's compiled as a Universal app.