What's new

Will the New Intel Macs be Able to "import" Microsoft Word Documents...? (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Let's say I have thousands of documents backed up by a remote back-up service. If I bought one of the new Macs with the Itel processor, would I be able to "import" these documents to the Mac?

Thanks

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
This has nothing to do with the CPU in the system, but the application to open the documents with. Microsoft Office has existed on the Mac for a long time and will continue to exist for a long time, namely at least 5 years, which is what they announced at the recent SF Macworld.

Of course, if you're talking about *getting* these documents from the backup service via the Mac, that's something that can't be answered without details about how that service works. If they need their own proprietary client software to access the files and they don't provide a Mac client, then probably not.

-Christian

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Mac OS X reads .doc files natively. They can be opened, modified and saved back to their original format with TextEdit or AppleWorks (both included with the OS) or Microsoft Office ($$$).

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

AppleWorks is included with current PowerPC-based consumer Macs -- but for whatever reason, does not appear to be included with the iMac [Intel Core Duo].

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Not to worry. I believe that Microsoft will have available by this Spring an updated Macintosh version of Microsoft Office that works specifically with Intel-based Macintoshes. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Until then, doesn't the current version run OK through Rosetta, although slower?

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
We got one of the new Intel iMacs at the office this past week and Office 2004 doesn't seem to run any slower than on the G5 iMacs we have. I would expect the next version of Office to run faster though once it's compiled as a Universal app.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks