What's new

Will the marantz sr5007 be a problem for me? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
dave
I've been redoing a small home theater setup and am concerned before I purchase an avr. I have a klipsch rc-42 center..klipsch rb-51 as front l/r...a pair of klipsch rb-41's for surround and another pair of rb-41s for rear surround as part of a 7.1 setup....still haven't fully decided fully on a subwoofer purchase yet but will do that in the future...looking at epik for that. I'm at the point where I'm getting ready to purchase an avr and am not sure exactly which would be my better option for my setup. I was looking at the marantz nr1603 and marantz sr-5007. The 1603 delivers 50 watts per channel according to their spec sheet and the 5007 delivers 100 per channel. The klipsch center and rb -51's are listed as 75 watts rms and the rb-41's are listed at 50 watts rms. I'm concerned if I get the 1603 some will be underpowered and if I get the 5007 some will be overpowered. Am I correct in this assumption and if so what are my options? I may be worrying for nothing but you guys always seem to have good advice.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Speaker "power ratings" are 99% hot air. Most people are freaked out when they learn that "jamming" on most speakers is roughly 20wpc. Jamming with those Klipsch will take about 5.
The Marantz NR are fine if you have space constraints. And more than likely it would be "more than plenty" in the power department. But it is always wise to err on the high side of power as we don't know the room acoustics. For all we know you have 6" thick shag carpet and a velour couch...(which both of those together quash SPL)...or, you might have bare hardwood floors and an IKEA futon....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The RB aren't as efficient as I thought, but are still efficient...
92db at 2.83 volt(which at 8ohm, works out to 1 watt)...
General TV viewing (non action show) is done around 85db...
Meaning these are going to chew on 1/3 to 1/2 watt.
100db(at 3 feet) is ear piercing. They'll get to that using 8 watts.
Now if your room is huge and you plan on a "raging dance party"...say 20 people in a 20-25 space...
To achieve a volume where people have to scream in each others ears, that might take 30wpc.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
My Marantz 5005 is powering 4 Polk LSi7's (4 ohm, 88 db) and an LSiC (same 4 ohm, 88 db) at normal listening levels without trouble. I bet the 1603 would do the same for the Klipsch RB's. If not, ad a two channel amp for the fronts.
Ac4l.com has the 5006 as a refurb for $499. $35 for a three year warranty. The 1602 is $399 (that's what my 5005 cost 6 months ago).

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I understand the party line on amps. But I have to mentioned that I briefly had a NR1602 that I was using in a 12x13 room, and it was commonly up to reference level -5 db when I played at a reasonably loud level. (Using Axiom M-22s/VP-100.) That's not much "headroom" space left. I ran some db meaasurements, which I don't have at my fingertips, but I believe I was at about 85-90 db at 9 feet.
I'm not a returner, so I would have kept it, but it wasn't working with my NAS, so it did go back. Both my previous Onkyo (503 I think) and my current Yamaha 671 do not seem stressed by the volume requirements.
On the other hand, the OP won't hurt the speakers with the extra power. So unless there's a specific need for a thin receiver, my reco would be to go with the larger amp.

Real Name
dave
Thanks, there isn't a specific reason I need to go smaller with the slimline. I can fit the sr5007 easily. I suppose I just looked at the power levels to much. I have read a little about clipping etc and just want to be sure I will be able to power these speakers all adequately without having to worry. My room size sounds very similar to AI anderson. My room is approx 13x15 or 14x15..something along those lines.

jdjaye

Auditioning
Real Name
Jdjaye
Thanks for telling us your experience driving 4ohm speakers. That exactly what I needed to know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks