Will Smith Superstar?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bill lopez, Jan 14, 2002.

1. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

It looks like ALI is going to bomb at the box-office so you think Will Smith's ego can handle this? After all the talk he did before the release of the film.

2. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

People like him never think that way. It is always that other people were too stupid to understand his art.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Just because a film does less-than-stellar box office doesn't mean it's no good. (The Insider and The Shawshank Redemption come to mind.) Besides, six months from now, when Men in Black II is vaccuming up theatergoer $$$, no one will even remember what Ali grossed.

M.

4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Given the political/historical nature of this film's plot, I'm not surprised its bombed. I think its a real shame though. If ever Will Smith deserved a film of his to do well, its now. Michael Mann just doesn't get the recognition/success he deserves.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I just checked the figures. As of yesterday (1/13), Ali had done over $54 million at the U.S. box office. Not a runaway success by any stretch, but hardly a "bomb".

In a world where most films depend on video and overseas sales to make a profit, it's too early to make pronouncements on the success or failure of Ali. The film hasn't even been released abroad yet.

M.

6. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

If you are referring to the talk like in the Playboy interview, Smith wasn't serious.

I think Smith is proud of the movie, regardless of how much money it has made. Did anyone really expect this movie to gross a lot? Nevertheless, its final gross should be great for a Michael Mann film.

~T