What's new

Will Shania Twain's multi-flavored 'Up!' start a trend? (1 Viewer)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Yes. I think that it is a really good idea. I have listened to both versions, and prefer the country version, because the pop version really sounds over-produced, with too much synthesizer. Yet again, the country version has too much of a pop influence already.

Oh, and hip-hop artists doing country: Kid Rock started out doing hip-hop, right? He did that duett with someone at a country music award show
I believe that he did a duet with Willie Nelson. In fact, he did, and it is on a CD too. There is a song called Last Stand in Open Country on Willie's CD called The Great Divide, which is that duet with Kid Rock. I have not heard it yet.

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
I think it is an interesting concept having a new release in a "pop" and "country" mix. I noticed that on a couple of her last singles from her last album, the mixes were slightly different depending on what type station you heard them on. Business wise, I think she and Faith Hill are two of the smartest women in the music business today. Why not get as must coverage in a cross-market as possible. I'm not crazy about Shania's music, not much of a country fan, but she sells product and I can see why. What a package, musically and visually. I was also not a Faith Hill fan until I saw the Thanksgiving special she had on NBC. I liked it enough to purchase the current CD and actually was shocked that I really liked it. Let's face it, if your over 40, and not into hip hop and rap, there are very few artists these days coming up with anything I can stand to listen to more than the few minutes I'm in the car and hear them on the radio. My hat goes off to these crossover artists that have enough talent, and of course, mega bucks behind them to, get their product heard by as many people as possible.

JeffMuller

Stunt Coordinator
Shania has "had" to do different mixes in the past anyway. The European audiences wanted it even more "poppy" than her US mixes were. I think they just took it to the next level, and released them all to everybody.

By the way, I doubt Shania's music is written by committe. I imagine it is written by a team of two: Shania and husband/producer Mutt Lange.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've got to say that the Shania Twain American mixes were a revelation to me (especially on her previous album). I far prefer the C&W-tinged versions to the Europap (sorry, I of course mean 'Europop') mixes that were the default option for us poor Brits.

Tinkering the mixes for different markets is not of course new. E.g. the Yellow Magic Orchestra had their early albums totally remixed for the Western market some 20 years ago.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
By the way, I doubt Shania's music is written by committe. I imagine it is written by a team of two: Shania and husband/producer Mutt Lange.
This is correct. Shania writes a LOT of music, then presents (most of) it to her husband for final arranging/reworking. While you may not like her material, she does have an incredible talent for writing extremely catchy and popular music. The marketing doesn't hurt... the video for "Any Man of Mine" made me fall in love with her instantly, and who could pass on the red dress in "Boots"?

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Her CD "Up!" actually got good reviews. I ordered a copy to try out even though my taste is more alternative rock.

Here's a sample review, from Rolling Stone mag:
The successor to Come on Over, the biggest-selling album by a female artist of any stripe, Shania Twain's Up! would be a knockout even if it were limited to its one disc of country music. Together with hubby "Mutt" Lange, this crossover firebrand writes wise, personable, wildly contagious songs, and there are nineteen of them here. No duds, and no dull bits.
But the second, relentlessly kinetic pop disc is a revelation. It's the same nineteen songs, but shot through with wacky Abba, Queen, Roxette and Missy Elliott production and arrangement flavors. Whether surrounded by fiddles or synth-y guitar, tracks such as "Thank You Baby!" convey motherly intimacy and an undeniable pop sense alongside those trademark exclamation points.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Pat its intestesting that you liked the blue disk..I downloaded the demo's from her web site and hated them. I'm still listening to the other two discs and they're growing on me but first impressions weren't that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks