What's new

Will my set up be ok? (1 Viewer)

sk8tr4lf1989

Auditioning
Real Name
justin
Before I start please don't try to make me buy a certain brand or set up, I'm looking for a cheaper end system just to enjoy movies, I do not own my house I rent so I can't go to crazy, I was reading (the link below) that all speakers should be about ear level and the front 2 3 ft from the TV.

Here is how my set up is going to be,

HD TV front & center of couch, the mid speaker will go directly under it in the front, then the 2 front speakers (going to be about 3' from the TV) but on the floor, then the 2 rear about equal distance on the floor.

The set up I'm getting comes with a mic that auto sets everything up (again not looking to go all out just something simply and easy) You place it where you'll be sitting and times everything out and sets the speakers up good, with this set up should I get a pretty good movie experience on Blu-ray (allot better then my TV speakers)?

Set-up I was reading about -

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

My Surround sound system -

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666295691#reviews

Thanks for your help!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Welcome Justin

Hundreds of years ago Lord Chesterfield wrote: "When you ask an man his opinion you are asking for his approval."

So I wonder why you posted as you appear to be requesting neither our opinion or approval or assistance.

In the event that I miss understood you. If you follow the Dolby speaker placement guide as close as possible your speakers will be positioned correctly. The use of an auto speaker set up will fine tune that to your prime seating location.

As far as your decision to purchase a Sony HTib, their are better choices. I would look at the Onkyo line. They come with a real receiver and the speakers can be upgraded at a later date.

sk8tr4lf1989

Auditioning
Real Name
justin
What I meant to ask was will there be a huge differecne with the speakers on the floor or at ear level? Will it be such a big diferance that I will want them at ear level right away?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If you can operate a screwdriver, then you can wall-mount the speakers easily (they have "keyhole" mounting brackets on the back). Go to Lowe's and pick up a little baggy of screws and "screw-type" wall anchors like these. I love these because they go in easy, are strong, and can even be removed and reused.

I strongly recommend you wall-mount the main speakers (and the center) - mainly because it's so easy to do, it seems silly not to.

sk8tr4lf1989

Auditioning
Real Name
justin
Yea... my wife isn't going to go for the whole speaker on the wall thing. It'd be different if we owned the apartment and I could run flush speakers in the wall that would be hidden, def not gonna go for them sticking out of the wall. Guess the floor will have to do .

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If the stands are tall enough...

The sound should roughly be at the same height as the image, or else it will all stay rather unnatural.

Cees

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
You could use stands or if sitting on the floor, you could tilt the speakers to aim them at your ears.

sk8tr4lf1989

Auditioning
Real Name
justin
Ok I like the tilting idea of the speakers, I'll probably end up doing that. I was finally able to talk my wife into getting one the deal was though that it couldn't make the room ugly so I'll be hiding them as best as possible, that's why I went with the sony the reciever is very slim and is about the same size as my sony blu-ray so I can stack them and then throw my xbox in some spot out of the way.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If you tilt the speakers up, make sure you cross the height of your ears in a plane in front of you (between your heads and the screen). Don't make them "point" at you directly, because then you will be sure to hear the sounds coming from there - the ground below.

So they must be pointing above your heads, so to say.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks