Will my room size even work for a ht?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by akinkle, Jun 16, 2012.

1. akinkle

akinkle Auditioning

Well im a noob here and I looked the best i could to find a satisfactory answer and did not find one. Here is my delema.
    I have a finished basement and im looking to redo it. I have a space that i could wall off and convert into a ht. This space is only 7ft wide and 21 ft long. Is this doable to make into a ht? Im thinking about a simple 2 row seating set up with whatever size screen thats best for the space. My only other option would be a temp set up in a room that is 10x14 with doors on three walls and tv would be on short end of room. Any input would be appreciated. Im a teacher and i have all summer to do this project but first want to know if its even worth it. Thank you!

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    The 7' width is way too narrow. That leaves the 10' X 14" room. Are you looking to use a TV or projector?

3. akinkle

akinkle Auditioning

I figured someone would say that. Temporary man cave it is. My first thought is a tv. But if this is temp i guess a projector u can change size of screen based on room size. When i say temp i mean in 10 years i may have kids and they may be old enough to move into the basement and kick me out of that bedroom in the basement and assuming we r in the same house. So how far do i go? Change drop down ceiling to acoustic tiles? Just don't have money to waist but want a place to escape from wife and heat on those crazy summer days. Again doors on three walls really limits places to put a screen and couches :( Thanks for ur input!

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I wanted to put a TV in our 3x5 toilet room off the master bath. I had it all planned out down to a 10" sub on top of the medicine cabinet. I don't think any room is too small for a home theater.
    My wife vetoed the idea.

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    It all depends on your budget. A TV is probably the cheaper way to go, but that's not going to be a "home theater". I assume you're aware that with a projector you need to hook up a receiver and speakers for sound? And possibly a ceiling mount? Unless you mount it on a rear shelf. Let us know your budget for projector and screen, and we can recommend some projectors for you.

6. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Since there's no smiley face, I don't know if you're kidding or not. But if you want a TV in the bathroom, you need to eat more fiber. :)