What's new

Will 'Into the West' Be on the ROTK EE? (1 Viewer)

Ron Morgan

Agent
I was very dissapointed that the video for 'Into the West' was listed on the first release specs for the Theatrical Ed, but was mysteriously dropped before release. The first two DVDs included the videos of the end credits song, and yet the song that wins an Oscar doesn't rate a spot on the ROTK TE?

I'm hoping this will be rectified on the Extended Edition- maybe New Line wlll also treat us to Annie Lennox's performance from the Academy Awards telecast (in addition to, not in place of, the video.)

Does anyone have any info on this? Also, does anyone else really, really want the video on the DVD, or am I the only one?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I sure hope so .
I'm actually listening to the song as I read the post wondering if I will ever see the video..

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I thought she didn't do a good job at the Oscars, to be honest. It sounded pretty awful to me....

I really like the song though, and I don't understand it wasn't on the dvd of the theatrical version. Isn't it about time for an announcement of the extended edition if it's still on course for the holiday season? When did they release the specs of FOTR and TTT?

Jeff B.

Stunt Coordinator
I thought she over sang to an extreme during the oscars. Her face was contorted and she was trying too hard. I too really like the song and believe Annie is very talented, but I think she should have performed the song in a mirror before she did it at the oscars to see what she looked like.

Anyways, I hope they put the video on the EE. I know Jackson is going to treat this right as he did the last two.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Not to derail the thread, but didn't Annie Lennox also sort of apologize for her performance in her Oscar acceptance speech? Something along the lines of "glad the Academy didn't decide based on tonight's performance"? I'm not sure though....

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I like Annie Lennox a lot but her Oscar performance of "Into The West" was not her finest hour. She sounded a bit off-key to me, and I wonder if she was having trouble hearing the music.

In her speech she said something like "I hope you liked my performance" (directed at PJ), but I don't remember her being apologetic at all.

I saw the "Lord Of The Rings Symphony" with the Houston Symphony two weeks ago. "Gollum's Song" & "Into The West" were sing by Dutch singer Sissel. This may sound like heresy, but IMO her gentler (but still powerful) interpretation of ItW blew Lennox's out of the water.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I also preferred Sissel's version when I saw her in concert, earlier this year in Ohio. By the way (not that this is an ultra-critical bit of information or anything), she's Norwegian, not Dutch.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Craig, I found the speech here and you are correct.

Maybe it was one of the BBC commentators..... ;)

Anyway, about when is the EE announcement due?

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
I agree with Craig and Haggai. I thought Sissel's live performance of the song was superior to Annie Lennox's recorded version, let alone the Oscar performance.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I'm intrigued by this praise of Sissel's rendition. Any way to hear it without going to a concert? (i.e., online?)

--Jefferson Morris

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Not that I'm aware of. I've heard there's eventually going to be a recording of the LotR Symphony, and perhaps at that time we'll get it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I for one can not wait for the ROTK EE to be released. The movie was awsum but I dont think I can take putting up with the DD track much longer. Plus I really want to watch all three EE back to back as soon as ROTK EE is available. The DD track on ROTK is ok but still laking and falls short like most DD tracks seem to do. Not enough depth and clairity especially in the dialog in the center channel. Once the ROTK EE is released the TE will collect dust just like the first two movies do. I mostly only watch the EE versions of the first two movies in DTS and the third movie will not be any different.

DIE DOLBY DIGITAL :laugh:

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
Thank you for sharing that anti-Dolby Digital rant with us (just after I read your similar one in the Star Wars thread).

Oh, and the word is 'awesome', BTW.:)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Well, I guess I'm in the minority, but that hasn't bothered me . Anyways, I find the DD track to be quite nice. I also prefer the DD tracks on the EE DVD's thus far. I just thought I would chime in. However, I won't derail the thread anymore.;)

Steven Sims

Stunt Coordinator
The video for Into the West being left off the TE is brought up all the time and I haven't seen anyone ever answer the question, was there even a video made for that song? I don't remember ever seeing one. Maybe that's why it was left off the TE.

Jay W

Supporting Actor

comedy gold!

I was going to ask what high school you attended since I know the area but upon examining your profile, I stand corrected :)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Is something wrong with Dolby Digital? Last time I checked, DVD reviewers were raving their fool heads off about the Dolby Digital tracks on:

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
A Bug's Life
Tron: 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition
Amadeus: Director's Cut
Goldeneye
Bruce Springsteen / Live in New York City
Black Hawk Down

The most important factor in a quality presentation of audio in the home is a good mix. High bitrate can't make a bad mix sound better. A bitrate lower than dts doesn't necessarily make a great mix sound bad.

---------

As for Annie Lennox on Oscar night, she didn't mangle the song, she was just off-key on a few notes, and she looked to be struggling with it. No big deal, I still enjoyed her performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.