What's new

Will I reduce amp/receiver performance if I use extension cord? (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Will I reduce the performance of my amp/receiver if I use an appliance-rated (heavy duty) extension cord? (You know, the kind they sell for air conditioners and the like.)
Also - and I hate to start a whole new thread for this, so maybe someone can confirm - can I use a video cable (the yellow one!) for an audio digital coax connection? I've got a Monster video cable collecting dust at the moment, and I've heard tell these are identical to so-called "audio digital coax". I'd like to try it out in place of the optical cable I'm currently running to see if there's any improvement in sound.
Thanks! :)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Brian!

What I'll do is to run it with and without the extension to see if I can hear any difference, but I wanted to ask just in case there was a hard-and-fast "rule" as it were.

And I'm guessing that Monster video-cable (yellow w/RCA jacks) must be a 75 ohm cable - they all are, right? And, so, since this is the same type of cable as "audio digital coax", it ought to work!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Rich,

As long as you use a heavy enough extension cord, you should have no problem. Avoid letting it run along next to your speaker cables. Are you talking just your receiver, or a receiver and external amp? Regardless, a 14 gauge cord should be plenty good, but you could also go with a 12 guage. Don't be fooled by appearances, many heavy looking extension cords are only 18 gauge or even worse. The gauge will be on the label as well as pressed into the insulation.

The Monster video cable should be just fine. If it was a brand-x I would be less certain. I only have one genuine "digital" cable. The rest are Monster video cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks