What's new

will i need a multi-switch now? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

in my current setup, i have three coax cables coming off my dish. two to my directv/tivo combo unit (in the living room) ... and one to my satellite receiver (in the bedroom). so i have enough lines for my inputs.

since i'm moving into a new house that is pre-wired (all the coax lines go into the master closet), i'm thinking about running another directv/tivo unit for the bedroom - since it is prewired with dual coax connections. so i assume that means i need four lines coming off my dish.

however, since i'm having directv come and reinstall a new dish on the new house, my understanding is that the dish is only a triple lnb. is that correct? if so, doesn't that mean, to get my new setup, i'd require a multi-switch? a 3x4 similar to this?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...d=1076628386020

i'd prefer to buy it from best buy since i get a discount.

if it matters, i believe there are four coax lines coming out of the wall on the exterior of the house...but i'm not positive.

anyway, if i'm making any sense, please let me know!

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
A modern triple LNB dish has 4 coax outputs on it. You can connect a DirecTiVo and two regular receivers to it, or two DirecTiVo units. If you want more than that, you will want to add a 4x8 or 5x8 multiswitch. (5x8 will provide an input for antenna for OTA channels.) Then you will have 8 outputs, for 4 TiVos or 8 receivers. (If you plug in the antenna, you can extract those signals at any location using a $5 diplexer.)

This setup is also compatible with HDTV receivers and TiVos, if you plan to upgrade in the future.

In any case, if DirecTV is installing the dish, then they are required to provide any needed switches or parts at that time. You should not have to spend any money to connect your equipment when you move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks