What's new

Will DVD-Audio Survive (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure whether DVD-A will survive as primarily a music-delivery system. It seems to lose ground everyday to the SACD, a format that's proven the clear choice among the so-called "audiophile community". That's not to say SACD is a better technology, but it is certainly preferred among this group.

However, why isn't DVD-A being exploited for movie soundtracks? I'm guessing it's because of current space limitations of the DVD format. But with the coming advent of blue-laser technology, might not the MLP encoding be married to true HD-video encoding for a media that offers both hi-res video and hi-res audio for movies?

Mark All

Second Unit
I use both DVD-A and SACD and have an equal number of both kinds of discs--about 30 altogether. I don't see how it's possible to compare the sound of DVD-A to SACD given that the source material is different. Both formats have some outstanding and some weak transfers, but there's no overlap by title to compare. The only sensible comparison I can think of is DVD-A to CD and SACD to CD. I don't see either format dying. To the contrary, I see both formats evolving. Like KevinJ indicated above, DVD-A will get a backward compatible layer later this year--an indication that Warner Brothers is serious about building the format. Both formats have the goal of getting digital audio to approach the warmer sound of original analog recordings. Viewing the alternate formats as VHS vs. Betamax seems inappropriate given that most of the major manufacturers except Sony and Panasonic are putting out dual format DVD machines now. Even if DVD-A or SACD died, the players would still be usable as DVD players. For the masses (people who are happy listening to music mainly from downloaded MP3s and CDs on $5 earbuds) neither format is practical or desirable. I do wish the music publishers would speed up title release. I heard a rumor that the Pink Floyd catalog will be released soon like the Rolling Stones was. As the publishers release more, the hardware manufacturers will no doubt come up with multi-format machines to take advantage of whatever source material is available.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I think both formats will survive as niche formats for a small number of people who prefer a better quality disc. I don't see it replacing CDs because the average listener thinks CDs sound fine. The key to survival, obviously, is the labels and if they will continue to produce software in both or either format.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Jagan,
Above in a post you stated: "SACDs are like CDs. No funky menu system. No "Groups". No "Why don't I get track 4 when I press 4 on my remote" problems.
Just load and play."
This is NOT the case with my DVD-V/DVD-A player (Denon DVD-3800). I never turn on my display to play DVD-A disc's. Just turn on the amp, throw the DVD-A disc in , hit play on my 3800 and the superb DVD-A sound starts......same as CD! I can even select via the remote by hitting , etc..
You might want to take a look at using another player, because I agree that turning on your display ON to listen to DVD-A does at least two bad things:
A) Burns additional electricity and "wears out" the display
AND, WORSE
B) May burn-in a static menu pattern on your display
:emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This is NOT the case with my DVD-V/DVD-A player (Denon DVD-3800). I never turn on my display to play DVD-A disc's. Just turn on the amp, throw the DVD-A disc in , hit play on my 3800 and the superb DVD-A sound starts......same as CD!
Phil,

What happens if you want to select one of the soundtracks that is not the default -- e.g. the high-res stereo track instead of the high-res 5.1 track? That is where DVD-Audio is lacking.

I can do the above easily with my SACD player, but not with my DVD-Audio player. Heck, with the Elv1s DVD-A disc, there was not even any indication that a stereo track existed, yet it could be played if you knew the proper incantations for your DVD-A player (and the stereo track is much better than the 5.1 track on the Elv1s DVD-A disc, IMO).

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Scott,

Umm....... you might have me there, however:

1) When I set my player to "two channel only" what am I getting from a DVD-A disc?

2) On a multi-channel SACD disc with stereo also available, how do you select between the two ( ..... or is that a big negative for SACD in that it can't offer 2-channel and 5.1 channel on the same disc?)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Phil,

(1) DVD-Audio can support both multi-channel (usually 5.1) and two-channel high resolution tracks on the same disc. Not all discs have both formats (it's not a requirement of the format). In addition, discs can also have a Dolby Digital (required) track and a DTS (optional) track. These latter two are for compatibility with DVD-Video players.

(2) All SACDs have a high-resolution stereo track (it's a requirement of the format). Some discs also contain a high resolution multi-channel (usually 5.1) track, but others are stereo-only. To select the different tracks, I simply press a button on my remote that toggles between the two tracks (the player must be in STOP mode). Also, another button will toggle between the SACD and Redbook CD layers of the disc, for those discs that contain both layers (called hybrid discs).

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
My remote also has an "Audio" button to toggle between 2.0/5.1 audio tracks on DVD-V's without having to use the on-screen menus to select (I never use menus anymore to select sound on DVD-V's), which can be used with or without the display on, of course. I wonder if this works when I'm playing a DVD-A to toggle between 2.0 and 5.1?? Intuitively it seems like it should work. I'll try it this weekend if I get a chance.
Thanks for getting me thinking about this. :emoji_thumbsup:

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Stacey,

Well, if this authoring is used on any one given DVD-A, that just about makes that DVD-A as convenient as a SACD version - at least on some players.

Is it common on players to have an on-the-fly button on the remote for flipping between audio modes .... or are 3800 owners lucky?

StaceyS

Stunt Coordinator
All DVD players have audio buttons. (well, they should.)

While WB is using the new software, that does not mean everyone else is. I have a bunch of new stuff from Silverline, I will check those when I get the chance.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My remote also has an "Audio" button to toggle between 2.0/5.1 audio tracks on DVD-V's without having to use the on-screen menus
The audio button does not work on all discs -- it depends on how they were authored. On the Elv1s disc, you must use the GROUP function to select different tracks (which are not listed anywhere on the packaging, and there is no on-screen menu). Other discs only allow selecting tracks via the on-screen menus.

If a single audio track selection method had originally been a requirement of the format, then DVD-Audio would be a lot simpler to use.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
In my experience, SACD also sounds better
Keith,
Okay, I caught you making such a partisan statement. ;)
Welcome to the Dark Side...er, Dark Side of The Moon maybe. :)
I think there is a very likely result that DVD Audio and Super Audio winds up as enduring niche formats, sort of a musical version of Dolby Digital and DTS.
What will be important is title selection. In the interim, if you are conservative universal players remain a nice hedge.

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
I have both DVD-A and SACD in my system, the Sony 9000ES, the Panasonic RP-91, and the Pioneer 747. The Pioneer is a dual machine. I, too, prefer SACD but have DVD-A discs.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I have DVD-Audio and though i can't compare against SACD, i can say i'm very pleased with DVD-AUDIO thus far. I do agree that discs need to be authored so the television is not a requirement. For me a CD layer would be nice but not particularly necessary for me.

I think DVD-Audio's biggest disadvantage is that NONE of the labels that support it are aggressive. There is an overwhelming lack of software to drive the format. Ironically I think that hardware-wise the advantage would go to DVD-Audio as you can play a disc on any (with DD/DTS)
and there's more dvd-a manufactures than SACD. I think if DVD-A were supported more with titles you'd see the gap close more. As a matter of fact with a better interface and CD layer i think that dvd-a could actually win!

As far as the 5 majors 3 are in the DVD-AUDIO camp (WEA, BMG, EMI) while 2 are in the SACD camp (SONY, UMG) and if i recall correctly UMG hasn't stated they are exclusive to either format, just for now they are releasing in SACD.

Either way will be interesting to see which one will win out!

David

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
David,

Well EMI has been releasing SACD's in Europe and Japan for over 6 months now. And of course, Dark Side is coming out soon from them here in the US.

Like others here, I also own both DVD-A and SACD and I also prefer SACD.

Tom Lee

Agent
David: I agree with you that UMG has stated they have an agreement to produce DVD-A. But Sony owns Universal so you can see the politics there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks