What's new

Will Criterion Release Alexander Korda's The Four Feathers (1939)? (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It has been a few years since Criterion licensed the Alexander Korda library. Since that time, it has released on DVD Thief of Bagdad, That Hamilton Woman, and a four film collection of various biopics. My hope is that that Criterion will release The Four Feathers (1939) on blue ray/dvd. The Four Feathers (1939) was released by MGM back in 2005, but that release was discontinued along with MGM's release of Thief of Bagdad when the Criterion license came into effect. The Four Feathers is my favorite Korda film and the technicolor would look brilliant in blue ray. I also would be pleased with a simple DVD as the old MGM release is hard to come by and very expensive. I sent Criterion an email to ask about this, but I got no response. Does anyone have any insights?

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
It was hinted at in the Criterion New Year's Newsletter hint:

There are four feathers coming out of the pillow the boy is holding above his head.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well then, let's hope that Matthew's interpretation of Criterion's cryptogram is correct.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes

Any other decryptions from this photo?

There's an entire thread in the Criterion forums devoted to nothing but guesses as to everything being hinted at in the picture.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Solaris

Kiss Me Deadly

White Material

The Great Dictator

Insignificance

Bitter Rice

Zero de Conduite

The Four Feathers

Kuroneko

Carlos

Le Cercle Rouge

People on Sunday

Wild Strawberries

Cul-de-sac

L'Atalante

Y Tu Mama Tambien

Breaking the Waves

Diabolique

The Snowflakes are still unknown. Maybe a Blu upgrade for The Ice Storm.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, it looks good then. I looked at the Criterion Forums and someone said that the 2010 cryptogram showed one feather and people guessed The Four Feathers but were wrong. Now, this cryptogram shows four feathers. Glad I asked about this, and I am cautiously optimistic.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Well it might be a reference to FOUR FEATHERS or it could just be referring to the snowstorm of feathers during the pillow fight in ZERO DE CONDUITE. Or then again it could be both!!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Looking at the blue ray folder, I see that WHV is releasing The Man Who Would be King on blue ray this year. Consequenlty, it is probably a good time for Criterion to release the Four Feathers if they are going to put it on Blue Ray. Amazon would probably group the two films together.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
They also released SANDERS OF THE RIVER as part of their Paul Robeson collection.

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes

It has been a few years since Criterion licensed the Alexander Korda library. Since that time, it has released on DVD Thief of Bagdad, That Hamilton Woman, and a four film collection of various biopics.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Looks like Criterion will definatley be releasing it, it is already on Hulu (not that people outside of the U.S. can watch it).

http://www.hulu.com/watch/215800/the-four-feathers

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by BethHarrison

Looks like Criterion will definatley be releasing it, it is already on Hulu (not that people outside of the U.S. can watch it).

http://www.hulu.com/watch/215800/the-four-feathers

What determines what goes on Hulu?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I wonder if the Korda titles Criterion has access to include the now-in-public-domain-hell JUNGLE BOOK (1942).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks