What's new

Will anyone be watching "Watching Ellie"? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I think I'm going to watch it mostly to see a somewhat scantilly-clad Julia. In fact, it seems the network is promoting that angle -- many of the previews for the show contain a lot of skin.

Will this be any better than The Michael Richards Show or Bob Patterson?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
It can't really be WORSE than "Michael Richards Show", can it? That show was pretty bad, but he was good in it. I wish he'll come back on TV soon.

I liked "Bob patterson" quite a bit, it reminded me a little of "The Larry Sanders Show". I wish it would have stayed on the air.

I will be "Watching Ellie" for sure, especially after the TV-review in EW was favorable.

/Mike

Ike

Screenwriter
IMDB is saying that most critics are liking it. I'll certainly tune in at least once...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Not bloody likely; I didn't find Julia Louis-Dreyfus funny on "Saturday Night Live", "Day By Day", or The Most Incredibly Overrated Television Program EVER. The show does have a mildly interesting concept, but it's also way behind "Gilmore Girls", "Undeclared"/"Andy Richter", "Buffy" and probably "Spin City" on the Tuesday night depth chart.

I am mildly surprised that NBC opted to bury this in the Tuesday night minefield while giving "Leap Of Faith" the prime Thursday night slot. Mmmm, Sarah Paulson...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Oh yeah, you bet, I never pass up a chance to see my baby Julia!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
A woman who just gets finer with time!
Micke, we're old pals from your 'Curb your Enthusiasm' thread, am I crazy or was this (Watching Ellie) the show Julia and Larry were going to pitch? I remember her charactor was going to be named 'Ellie'.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
John, if I remember correctly, the character name mentioned in "Curb your enthusiasm" was Eileen, and she was going to be an ex-sitcom star. I don't think this is what "Watching Ellie" is about. Also, "Watching Ellie" takes place in "real time", like "24".
But I thought of that too when I read about this show. :)
I wish they'd start showing more CYE shows soon, by the way.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I thought Julia-Louis name on CYE was "Evelyn"?

I will tune in to see how she does and yes, she does get better with age.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
written by brad hall. she's married to him right?

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
So, did anyone actually watch it?

I did, and chuckled once or twice, but overall it didn't do much for me. Hopefully it gets better from here...

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I watched it and got pretty bored with it. I found myself looking at the clock as it slowly ticked down, wondering when the show would end. It wasn't nearly as painful as Michael Richards' show, but didn't show much promise for my sit-com tastes.

Pieter

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I watched it but it wasn't funny, it seemed like it was just there. I don't like the "real time" gimmick and think it could be better in a more standard format. I thought Julia-Louis look very good though:)

Don Black

Screenwriter
I wasn't too impressed with it either. Maybe future episodes will be better.... A lot of great cleavage shots though... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I watched it and also found myself watching their clock. Not so much because I was bored, but because it was there. I like Julia. I think she's a great actress and is really fun to watch. The humor was really subtle, dialog-wise, but had the fun "Julia slapstic" moments.

The show is like a 30 minute sitcom with the feel of a 60 minute drama/comedy (ala Ally McBeal). A pretty refreshing change. I'll keep watching.

Just lose the clock. It's distracting and useless. The editing style alone can accomplish the same message that the clock does.

Or, if the clock must be there, don't do a 22 minute countdown. Instead, show the real time "show time." For instance, if she was suppose to be to work at 9:00pm and we start "watching Ellie" at 8:59, then start the clock at 8:59. This accomplishes 2 things: it establishes the "real time" aspect of the show, and gives the viewer a better feel for just how late she is or what time of day it really is. They did show a clock that showed an in-show time of 5 after at one point, but it was only shown once, briefly.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was just okay. The guy who played the veterinarian is an actor I can't stand who has been in a couple Christopher Guest movies.
They were definitely some good skin shots of Ms. Louis-Dreyfus. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I havn't decided on this show yet. I thought it was alright, it had a couple of funny moments in it, but their are a couple of things that I would change...
1. Yes, lose the clock, it's pointless. Once you know the gimmck of the show, it's not really necessary.
2. ADD A LAUGH TRACK! I find that it helps me get into the spirit of fun more if I hear others laughing, even if it is just a track. On some shows the absense of a laugh track really works, 'Curb your Enthusiasm' is one of them, but it doesn't work for this show.
I'm going to stick with it, but it needs improvment in these areas.
But man, was Julia gorgeous or what! :eek: She has that very rare gift where as she gets older, she doesn't lose that vivasious, and young look, in fact, I think she's even hotter now than ten years ago!
I did find that toilet scene funny, but I also found it to be rather disgusting, I mean she was splashing around in toilet water for god's sake, and she didn't bother showering before going to work!?:confused:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Joel, my man, come on, it's TOILET WATER! Any water that comes out of the toilet is not clean!:)
Following your logic, it would be o.k. if I took a glass and scooped some water out of the toilet and drank it like tap water! It's teeming with bacteria and filth.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
[In best Homer voice]
Mmmmmmmm....toilet water.
I respectfully disagree with the laugh track. I don't like to be told when to laugh. Plus, with this show, it would throw off the gimmick. We are essentially "peeping Toms" looking in on Ellie's life for 22 minutes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks