What's new

Will American Dreams ever release Season 2? (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I have recently acquired Season 1 of American Dreams and feel this is one of the most intelligent series on TV today. Despite the musical rights issues (resolved for season 1) will Season 2 ever be released? Season 3 is off to a great start. I hope that any future season releases with be 16x9, my only fault with the existing release. The color and sound are suberb, though it's a shame Universal chose to not release the DVD in widescreen.

Joel

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I just bought American Dreams Season One on an impulse. Mainly because I heard of the cameo appearances from modern day artists doing period music, something that intrigues me. I've watched about half the episodes from the first season and do hope to see Season Two released.

I love the concept of this show, as I am an avid historian of the 40s through the 70s. Although, there are some errors in the continuity of the show, I can forgive that. It's hard to keep continuity up doing period plots.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Still no reply on the original question:

"Are there plans to release season 2 or is this a dead end for AD DVD releases -- ala Mad About You?"

Joel

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

Thanks, Dave. Coming from you this is a bit depressing :frowning: . I can see that perhaps this will be the show's last season and sometime in the future seasons 2 and 3 will be resurrected similar to other TV experiments of quality shows that fizzle due to audience indifference. On to the 'reality' shows. Oh well, I don't seem to have the time for tv anymore (perhaps a mixed blessing) ;) .

Joel

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
When you started this up I thought you were so alone in your request, but last night I finished season 1, and that cliffhanger has got got to be one of the best/worst of all time. Now I'm screaming for season 2 too!

BTW, if you haven't gone through the extras you should. They were very enlightening, and on disk 7 there is a 1/2 hour special.

Glenn

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

No no! Don't think of it like that. Universal simply hasn't let us know either way, yet. It's like Warner with Dallas Season 3...we all know in our hearts it HAS to come, because that's the season JR got shot. There's no way it won't come out on DVD. But up until this point in time, the studio isn't saying one way or the other. So American Dream S2 could potentially be a similar sure-as-heck future release, but so far Universal just ain't sayin'. Don't be worried yet. My whole response was just to indicate that we didn't answer because we didn't know one way or the other, and I wanted to save you the trouble of thinking we knew something but were being tight-lipped about it. You seemed upset that there was just no reply, so I gave you the only reply I had! Okay?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Remember that it took two seasons before they released the first season. If I had to take a guess, I would expect to see Season 2 sometime next September. This would be a year after the release of Season 1 and right before Season 4 would start, assuming it will be picked up for next season.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

I understand. There are sites on the net that are indicating that the current viewership has picked up a bit (to over 8 million). My reaction was a combination of the resignation from the fan site that the season may or may not even be resumed in January to finish season 3 in combination with the lack of feedback from the studio regarding another DVD release. It seems that the shows I'm most interested in (like Mad About You) as well as this one are least likely to see a full DVD release.

I'm glad to see that despite the rights issues with Northern Exposure we at least now have the first 2 seasons out. The set is a bit pricey and I found only 2 copies on display at Target despite the fact that they had the best B&M price @ $34.99.

Quality TV programming seems to be getting a bit scarce and I just look forward to recapturing some of the better moments on DVD. I realize there is too much to chose from but my tastes lean toward the more marginally popular fare. It is a bit of a two edged sword when a studio reignites excitement with a season or two of a quality show and then drops the rest while putting out trash at an accelerated pace. I'll look forward to another season of AD at whatever pace they come out. I just hope the show continues to build viewership in 2005 so that there will be a season 4 (the potential for the show during the '66-'69 era musically would be quite exciting IMHO).

Joel

Terry H

Second Unit

I hope so too. This is without a doubt, my favourite show. I really want it to continue.
However, I did NOT buy the first season on dvd. Why? One word... overpriced. Don't even say "music rights" either. This is a new show. The issues are well known. The dvd music rights should have been secured before the show was shot. If they weren't that is their screwup and they're not going to make it up on my back. Besides, Miami Vice was the poster child for music rights issues. If it can street at ~$40 with all the music intact (assuming it really is) then I'm firmly convinced that any show can do the same.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I bought American Dreams as a blind buy because of the great reviews at this forum and on Amazon. Yes, it's pricey, but not compared to prices of HBO shows, like the Sopranos or the soon-to-be released Carnivale -- which I will also buy.

In my book, it is quality, not price, that counts. And American Dreams is a wonderful show, evocative of the early and mid-sixties like no other show I've ever seen. The American Bandstand setting is just frosting on the cake! Add good writing, great music and a wonderful cast -- and what's not to like?

Still, I don't believe in spending any more than I have to and I shopped around and found it available for $73.95 at Walmart. (It was $78.95 at BestBuy and $89.95 at Tower Records!) A good deal in my book; I would have gotten in much cheaper had I known about the show earlier and bought it the first week of release. I will certainly do that with Season 2.

Not purchasing this wonderful show because of price is only robbing yourself of hours of enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks