What's new

Will a projector system work here? (1 Viewer)

red fuji

Auditioning
Real Name
abe
My family room's 60 inch DLP TV is getting old and ugly and needs to be replaced soon. I am contemplating on a projection system. But first need to know if it is even possible. Here is the requirement that I am constricted by: The projector will hang from a platform at a distance of 17 feet (5.2M) from the screen ( I prefer not to hang it any closer because I have a very high ceiling in between that I don’t want to hang anything or run wires from). The screen wall which will be right above the fireplace has a usable area of 89”(226CM) X 66”(167CM) ( I can’t go beyond that envelope because it is surrounded by the fireplace mantle, the ceiling, a perpendicular wall, and a window )
Are these dimensions workable for a projection system to work? Will the projector be too far from the screen for the image to stay inside the envelope? Will the projector be bright enough cast an image at that distance? what overriding features in a projector i should be focusing on to make this setup work. Any concerns I should be thinking about? I am a rookie at ‘projectors and I thought it would be a good idea to start my research here.:P

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You won't use that much height. Your width at 16X9 works out to 102" screen.
It would help if you gave a budget as I could recommend this...and I'm sure it could be configured for that size image at 17 feet...
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Projection-HIGHlite-1080p-Projector/dp/B008X6JVPI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353901484&sr=1-1&keywords=projector

red fuji

Auditioning
Real Name
abe
102 inch screen. Wow. Nice. I haven't looked at screens yet . 91inch is my envelope , I don't even know if there is a screen that can use all that, I imagine screens have black unusable borders. Can a screen be painted on or do I have to have roll up kind of screen. As far as budget, I am on the low end looking at $2,000 max for the projector and screen. Is that realistic?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You don't have many projector options due to your long throw distance. After entering your 17' throw distance and 100" diagonal screen size at Projectorcentral.com there's only 2 options that will still allow a screen in your budget.
1) Epson 8350
2) Panasonic AR100U

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are going to be more projectors than those two. Projector Central, no matter now thorough they wish to be(and they are the best "web place" to do any research)...they can't ever be 100% accurate.
Yes, your throw/size is going to be restrictive...but you are going to be way outside the norm where the only place you are going to find real info for your situation are the manufacturers websites.
One website can't possibly be expected to test for the "extreme" in narrow angle. Yes their calculator pro is great and all...but is useless for this guys 102" screen and 17 foot throw.
Edit:
I can count, over the years, around 10 "extreme" situations where Projector Central Calculator Pro was wrong. Besides, I don't think the people who run the site have the time to test the extreme narrow and wide of every single projector. I'm pretty sure they pick close to "the norm" and extrapolate.
I did a room with a Stewart screen and a JVC RS20 accomplishing a 120" screen on a 14 foot throw.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Sam, PC gets the info from the manufacturers and enters it in their database. They are NOT testing each projector for image sizes. So if their info is wrong, they got the wrong info from the manufacturer.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm not saying PC is "wrong"...
I'm saying it is impossible to be 100% accurate.
At his price range I know there are at least 6 projectors that will do this. Do I know which specific ones? No, I don't. But if you look at the Sony and JVC projectors...
What PC "says they can do" is really only the "middle" of what they can do. Speaking of the RS20. At the OP's distance, the RS20 can do as small as a 60 to as big as 130(more than 120...and I know it was at least close to 130).
Does PC say the RS20 can do that? No...it doesn't.
You know who does say that?
JVC's website.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
There are more than the 2 I listed that will work with the OP's throw and screen size, BUT I didn't list them because they are too expensive, after you add in a screen. And what a lot of people don't realize is when you use PC's "Search By Feature" it lists all the projectors that will work with the throw and screen size chosen. BUT you then have to go thru each one to see if each will be bright enough. What at first appears to be numerous projectors that will work, only a portion of them will work after you check the brightness.
And the Sony and JVC projectors are way over the OP's budget anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks