What's new

Wildly Popular; Sadly Neglected SITCOMS! (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001
How do you know for a fact that Shout's relationship with Fox is nothing but sour? Again, need I remind you that when I asked if their relationship with Fox had anything to do with why some shows weren't doing so well, they said that it was not the case at all?
It's possible they may not be allowed to disclose everything that goes on between them and their licensors.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
ToddR2 said:
BJ and the Bear is such a truly awful show, it's amazing that anyone would want to see it again. Yet, I know it would handily outsell any show that you or I mentioned.
Hey, I just want it for Anne Lockhart's two guest shots! :)

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
It's possible they may not be allowed to disclose everything that goes on between them and their licensors.

Exactly, they are not going to disclose private business dealings to every Tom, Dick and Harry who harasses them on their website forums. They don't know you so why would they tell you what they are doing, you do understand how corporations operate don't you?!

All signs point to a dispute of some sort between FOX and Shout!, even if neither side has confirmed this as being the case.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Vahan, sorry, but I won't jump on your "I HATE Shout! Factory" bandwagon. Matthew and Nick are much more reasonable and realistic.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
ToddR2 said:
Vahan, sorry, but I won't jump on your "I HATE Shout! Factory" bandwagon. Matthew and Nick are much more reasonable and realistic.
"I HATE Shout! Factory" bandwagon"? Don't you dare put words in mouth!
I never implied in this thread that I was hating on Shout! Factory. was just saying that Fox is not the main reason why we haven't seen more of Peyton Place. There is no conspiracy involved.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
I think FOX is to blame for certain shows being stalled like Mr. Belvedere and probably Shout! is to blame for others which didn't sell well for them and they chose not to continue releasing them. Bottom line: don't look for any more FOX shows to be released from Shout! Factory anytime soon. Hopefully some day a deal can be worked out that would see the final season of Rhoda released and final two seasons of Mr. Belvedere.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
Hopefully some day a deal can be worked out that would see the final season of Rhoda released and final two seasons of Mr. Belvedere.
Hopefully Shout! Factory will release them if a deal can finally be worked out. I can't imagine anyone else releasing them, nor can I imagine Fox themselves releasing them.
And again, let me make it perfectly clear that the third option that I brought up earlier in this thread applies to neither of those two shows you mentioned at all. Brian Ward said so.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Its had a better showing on DVD than many that have been listed, but I think Highway to Heaven is another good candidate for this topic. 5 seasons, was fairly popular at the time and has popped up in syindication regularly since then, with just three released so far in Region 1.

Highway to Heaven needs to be re-released from the beginning as the 3 seasons that A&E Home Video released ALL contained edited episodes (syndication cuts not the original versions). I hope that A&E's license for this series expires soon as they don't appear interested in re-releasing the series with original, uncut episodes. This show has received the same shoddy treatment on DVD as Little House on the Prairie- another Michael Landon show that featured edited episodes. Anyone know who owns the rights to Highway to Heaven, is it the Michael Landon estate or some big studio?! I think MPI Home Video or Image Entertainment would be a good fit to re-release this series and would do a good job of releasing it.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
ToddR2, if you're reading this, I never said in this thread that I was hating on Shout! Factory, nor did I imply that.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Alice (1976) 202 episodes, 9 seasons

I agree, this is a great sitcom and should have been released on DVD by now. TVShowsondvd.com has created an article specifically for stalled shows and/or shows that have yet to be released on DVD. According to the info posted on their regarding Alice, there are appears to be some issues with the masters which is apparently why it has yet to see the light of day on DVD. Here is the quote from Warner Bros. which came from one of their online chats:

"Alice has been on our long list for some time. There were some issues with the masters."

Hopefully the problems with the masters have been fixed and they will look at releasing this at some point?!

The Drew Carey Show 233 episodes, 9 seasons

This one has been stalled due to high music costs, according to WB. They are probably debating whether to release it with music edits or not at all. Its possible that music edits may have an effect on sales which is most likely why its stuck in limbo right now.

Family Matters (1989) 215 episodes, 9 seasons

I am surprised that they have not released season 2 yet, not sure if music is a factor with this show or not?! I think that poor sales due to the downturn in the economy (people have less disposable income to spend on thinks like DVD's) may be the culprit as to why no further seasons have been released.

Head of the Class (1986) 114 episodes, 5 seasons

This was one of those underrated shows that was not overly popular but still has a core fan base (like Mr. Belvedere). I think Shout! Factory would be a good fit as well but I am questioning whether it would do well enough, sales wise, for them to take a chance on it and release it?! This could wind up as an MOD release from WB as well.

Mama’s Family (1983) 130 episodes, 6 seasons

This was one of my favs as well, a quirky sitcom but enjoyable nonetheless. I am happy to see that people sent a strong message to WB by not buying S1 with the edited episodes. Its either original, uncut episodes or nothing at all- at least as far as I am concerned. I wonder why they refuse to attempt to acquire the rights to use the original masters from the person who owns them?!

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Step By Step - 160 episodes, 7 seasons
Family Matters - 215 episodes, 8 seasons more to go
Life with Lucy - 13 episodes, 1 season
Perfect Strangers - 150 episodes, 6 more seasons to go
Mama's Family - 130 episodes, 5 more seasons to go
The Wonder Years - 115 episodes, 6 seasons

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Guys: settle it in IMs; not here.
I can't believe I forgot:

Malcolm in the Middle (2000) 151 episodes, 7 seasons (1st season released)
This show was highly successful on tv, the 1st season dvd sold very well, but unfortunately music costs for Season 2 and onward were thought to be prohibitive (so the theory goes). And so, 9 years after the release of season 1, we're stuck with a measly 16 episodes on dvd, out of 151.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Gale Storm Show (Oh, Susanna) 1956 4 seasons, 126 episodes. 1 "best of relase" 24 episodes from Nostalgia Merchant.
Private Secretary 1953, 5 seasons, 104 episodes. 2 volume release from Alpha Video
The Phil Silvers Show (Sgt. Bilko), 1956, 142 episodes. 1st Season recently released, 50th anniversary "best of"

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
E/R - This hospital comedy,starring Elliott Gould,only aired for one season(1984-85),but it co-starred Jason Alexander and some guy named George Clooney. Sherman Helmsley guest starred in an episode as George Jefferson,who was one one of the characters uncle.I'm not sure who owns this program,but if I was the head of the studio that did,I'd release it,as well as anything else that Clooney and Alexander did. Even if it was their Burger King commercials.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Did anyone mention "Fernwood Tonight" and "America 2Nite" the 2 spin offs from Mary Hartman? Also just as an aside some of these are available on Itunes, I know Nany and the Professor, 1 season of Alice, and the Last 3 Seasons Of Green Acres are, I bought Green Acres and the shows look alright coming off my Apple TV2

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Dave Scarpa said:
Did anyone mention "Fernwood Tonight" and "America 2Nite" the 2 spin offs from Mary Hartman?
Much as I'd love to see these on DVD (I caught a few reruns on TV Land a few years back), do they really fit the description of "wildly popular" (even in their day)? They were pretty much just 'summer replacement' programming for Mary Hartman. I can't imagine they drew the same following (and ratings) as the parent programme.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks