What's new

Wild Wild West Complete Series (1 Viewer)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
CBS/Paramount will be releasing this 11/4 as per tvshowsondvd.com:
The Wild, Wild West DVD news: Announcement for The Wild, Wild West - The Complete Series | TVShowsOnDVD.com
No surprise here. What is surprising is that apparently they are not going to include the two reunion movies, only promos for them. Do they not own these films outright?
I wonder if they will re-master the first season of Wild Wild West for this release, as they did with I Love Lucy when they released the complete box for that.
In any event, I'm definitely looking forward to 2014/15 when we can expect Perry Mason: The Complete Series; to 2013/14 with Rawhide: The Complete Series, and of course 2027/28 when Gunsmoke: The Complete Series will finally come out. This assumes of course these all make it that long; big assumption, I know.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I thought the first season of WWW was already remastered....it's been a while since I watched it, but it looked fine.

My guess is that the two reunion movies will be sold separately for more than they could get for them by including them in the complete set.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
where's the news about the final seasons of Cheers, The Odd Couple and Gomer Pyle?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Carabimero said:
I thought the first season of WWW was already remastered....it's been a while since I watched it, but it looked fine.
My guess is that the two reunion movies will be sold separately for more than they could get for them by including them in the complete set.
I was wondering the same thing. Why would they remaster the 1st season of WWW when it was already remastered and looked excellent. This is different from I love Lucy because that 1st season was in need of Remastering and was released in seperate large DVD cases.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'll be passing on this set. I already own the 4 season sets and two additional promos are not enough to entice me to double dip.

Nice try though.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Even if the TV movies are included, I'll probably not double-dip until there's a Blu-Ray release.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
The transfers for Wild Wild West Season 1 were ok, but not stellar. Look at "The Night the Wizard Shook the Earth," the night scenes. They weren't using HD masters for it.
The Paramount Sydnication Bible (CBS Television Distribution Syndication Bible) confirms this. Their page for Wild Wild West, updated 4/10/08, states that only season 2-4 have HD masters, not season 1.
To see the difference that using a HD master for a DVD makes, compare WWW Season 1 to Perry Mason Season 1 or Gunsmoke Season 1.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
jdee28 said:
The transfers for Wild Wild West Season 1 were ok, but not stellar. Look at "The Night the Wizard Shook the Earth," the night scenes. They're weren't using HD masters for it.
The Paramount Sydnication Bible (CBS Television Distribution Syndication Bible) confirms this. Their page for Wild Wild West, updated 4/10/08, states that only season 2-4 have HD masters, not season 1.
To see the difference that using a HD master for a DVD makes, compare WWW Season 1 to Perry Mason Season 1 or Gunsmoke Season 1.
Still not enough to entice me to buy this set. I probably wouldn't even buy it if the reunion movies were on it.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
I'm a huge fan of WWW Ive got single season releases S1-S4 and like Mike*htf I wont be double dipping either. The only reason why I might have consider it would be if CBS came out with a insane extra package like T/L did for the Man from UNCLE. Sadly no, but Ive got all four seasons to watch at my convenience when ever I need my dvd fix of WWW:)
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
lol. BTW even if down the road I get a blueray player (not until there under 150.00 or less) I honest dont think I'll WWW in blur oops blue ray.For classic tv shows like WWW, the extra high def only highlights the weakness of the classic tv's production, cheap/recycled sets, costumes, etc... it almost becomes a distraction and adds very little to viewing experience (ie Star Trek). WWW dvd in a nice progress scan dvd player look fine enough for me on my 32" vizio vx32l;)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So why does anyone buy the single releases these days? It seems that every studio is doing this, adding extra features and fucking the fans and early adopters. I was vaugly toying with picking up season 1 just as a lark - but now, I'll just chill and see if I can find the complete one for a good price . . . and then shed a tear for all the suckers who got the singles.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Tony J Case said:
So why does anyone buy the single releases these days? It seems that every studio is doing this, adding extra features and fucking the fans and early adopters. I was vaugly toying with picking up season 1 just as a lark - but now, I'll just chill and see if I can find the complete one for a good price . . . and then shed a tear for all the suckers who got the singles.
Uh no not really there isnt any real extras that matter two movies done in the early 80's for example just there promos . I dont see any reason to buy the complete series package of WWW

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
What's the chance any of these classic TV shows will ever make it to BluRay, any concrete plans at all yet?

Duane Alford

Second Unit
I just got an E-mail from TV Shows On DVD.com stating that the reunion movies are going to be included and not sold seperately. I'm pissed, yeah I feel screwed. All I have to say is screw you Paramount, I won't buy anything from you again.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone seen the 2 TV-Movies that are included in the Complete WWW set? How do they compare with the original shows? Is Ross Martin in both TV-movies?
I know how you guys feel about this "complete set with Extras not included in the single-season releases" thing. I bought all of the SS sets but I'm not sure about getting the complete set just for the TV-Movies. One possibility for me is to ask "Santa" for the complete set and get it in Dec. I'd still need to sell/unload the SS sets.
It seems ironic to me that those of us that support the SS releases of shows would seem to be better off waiting for a complete series set. I guess it would depend on where the show rates on your "release graph".
Then again, one never knows if there would be Extras included in a complete-series set vs the SS releases. For example, the "Combat!" complete series set includes the same Extras as what's in the SS sets but the complete set is all digipaks so I assume that is a shelf-saver.
I don't know how much better the remastered S1's will look vs the existing S1 set. I think that might be the swing-vote for me to put in the order to the "North Pole" in late November.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Anyone else here going to upgrade for this set that already has the SS sets? From the posts so far, I'm guessing that, here, it won't be many takers.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Duane Alford said:
I just got an E-mail from TV Shows On DVD.com stating that the reunion movies are going to be included and not sold seperately. I'm pissed, yeah I feel screwed. All I have to say is screw you Paramount, I won't buy anything from you again.
Sell the individual sets and use that money to buy the series set. It's not perfect but it beats not having reunion movies, being pissed and boycotting Paramount's products.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
As per tvshowsondvd.com it does look like the reunion movies will be on the set, completely remastered and restored. It would have killed them to put such a disc in the season 4 set?

Nothing specific as to whether the first season has been remastered like in the I Love Lucy: Complete Series Set.

In any event, I will probably sell the season sets on ebay and then buy the complete series. I've done the same for I Love Lucy and Andy Griffith. Stinks that this is what one has to resort to to get everything complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks