Wild Palms...Finally on 10/05 (MERGED)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Chris, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    I'd also get Wild Palms. Back in '92 or so , a friend of mine in law school called it "everything that is wrong with TV!" Heh heh heh.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Thanks for finding the old thread!

I knew I'd posted on this subject before, but I'm really getting deja vu now.

:b

3. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

Anchor Bay released "Wild Palms" about three years ago. On VHS. I don't know why they didn't just go ahead and put it out on DVD, which was in full swing by that time.

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

If anyone is still here listening for this thread to shake and signal it is still alive:

I've just learned that Wild Palms was released in region 4 (I think that's Australia) as a 2-DVD set. This was a few months ago though and it is already out of print and impossible to find.

Online reviews say the video and audio quality is absolutely atrocious, and one even noted that:

5. Kevin Roebuck

I have been waiting forever for this to come out on dvd.

According to the Digital Bits this will be released as a two disc set by MGM on October 10. I can't wait to get this mini series which was one of my favorites.

I wish they would release some other mini series too. A few off the top of my head would be: Kane and Abel, and Marco Polo but there are many others.

OOp's, this should have gone in the tv section.......

6. Will_B

Will_B Producer

When I saw that, I wondered if Tom Cruise wasn't possibly in some way responsible for this. I can just picture someone saying "hey, didn't we once make a tv show about a futuristic cult in Los Angeles? What was the name of that show again? Twin Peaks or something? Wild Peaks? Twin Palms? Oh, here it is, Wild Palms! Hey let's release it now."

Maybe.

Anyway I'll be buying.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Moved.

I guess I can look forward to retiring another LD set.

M.

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    This is GREAT news!! A fantastic series! now I can retire my VHS dubbed from original broadcast tape![​IMG]

Wasn't Oliver Stone involved as a producer on this? It would be great to have him and the Belush do a commentary!

9. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Very timely news indeed - I had planned today to back up my LD boxed set to DVD. Now I won't have to. [​IMG]

Yup, and the directors included the fabulous Kathryn Bigelow.

10. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    A guy I went to grad school at the time with called this series "everything that is wrong with television."

I liked it, and will be picking it up on DVD.

11. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

Awesome! I honestly didn't think this one would ever get released.

12. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

I'm very happy to hear that Wild Palms is finally coming to DVD! A few months ago I gave up hope and got the laserdiscs, but I'll get the DVD too. I hope we get some extras. When the Sci-Fi Channel aired Wild Palms, they had interviews with the cast when they went to and came back from commercial breaks.

13. john mcfadden

john mcfadden Stunt Coordinator

I just hope the music isnt replaced , I remember a Stones song used either in the promos or even in the show .

14. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

At least two Stones somgs were used in the series. "Gimme Shelter" has a prominent place at the start of (IIRC) Episode 3 and "No Expectations" is used at another point. The lack of the former would severely change the tone of the series, so I strongly hope that there is not any music substitution.

http://popped.ifihadahifi.com/articl...wildpalms.html

15. Will_B

Will_B Producer

It should be easy as pie to get a thousand bands to do a note-for-note, inflection-for-inflection copy, if they need to.

It will only bother me if they replace it with a musak version.

16. Will_B

Will_B Producer

17. seanJ

seanJ Agent

Not on my particular wishlist, but the use of the `Stones "Gimme Shelter" was inspired. Wasn`t that episode directed by Kathryn Bigelow?

Regards

18. Michael Reuben

Just a note of warning for purists. On the LD set, the individual episodes were edited into two "parts", with only two sets of beginning and end titles. This is not how it was shown on TV. I would not be surprised if the DVD is the same thing, with one "part" per disc.

If this kind of thing matters to you, it might be a good idea to wait for a review before buying.

M.

19. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Doesn't look like any special features, from the back cover anyways. Too bad, it would of been nice to hear from The Belush!

20. Michael Reuben

Sometime it's great to be wrong!

The episodes are presented as originally broadcast: a 2-hour pilot, followed by four 1-hour episodes, complete with beginning and end titles -- and even "previously" segments.

Haven't watched enough yet to comment on music replacements, but so far I'm encouraged.

LATER: OK, "Gimme Shelter" is still there in the wedding at the beginning of chapter 5, and "House of the Rising Sun" still plays at the conclusion of chapter 4.

M.