What's new

Wii: Inside the box! (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
I own a Monster Nintendo S-Video cable that works with my SNES, N64, and GC. Is this also compatable with the Wii?

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Just a heads up to everyone here looking for accessories:

Looks like Toysrus.com has a lot of them in stock, ready to ship.

Good luck!

BrandonJF

Second Unit

It didn't go well - I tried the Linksys USB200M and it didnt recognize it. Well, also, the cheap piece 'o crap broke on impact with an ethernet cable (I have no idea how this thing is still on the market). But, not one LED lit up upon connection to the Wii and I got the message that the USB adapter wasn't inserted properly.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Have you considered trying to add another wireless node to the room that's currently wired for ethernet? It's been several years since I've used any of these "repeaters" (or whatever they are now called) but that might be a way to use the existing wireless capability of your Wii without adding any additional equipment to the console. Maybe someone here could provide some specific brands and model numbers of equipment that might be up to the task.

Just a thought.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

That would work - another access point would just be more expensive than using their wired solution and I don't know if another WAP is worth it just to get the Wii online quicker. Granted, it's not THAT much more expensive. Another full blown router/WAP can be had for $40-$50. It sucks, because I had another lying around, but the antennas are broken. I doubt the Wii will even pick up a signal with the thing sitting right next to it.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Simple Wii questions....

*Is the native aspect of games 4x3 or 16x9?
*480i native?
*Does it come with S-VHS, or do I need to buy a new cable?
*Does it play DVDs?
*What is the audio connection? (Optical, digital RCA, stereo RCA?)
*Whats the range on the remotes/controllers?
*Better game to buy 1st: Zelda or Red Steel?

BrandonJF

Second Unit

If it's ever between Zelda and anything else, pick Zelda. In this case, Red Steel is supposed to be awful, but I have no personal experience with it. Well, I have no personal experience with either, but Zelda has been reviewed well and Red Steel has pretty much universally not. I have Zelda, but I don't think I'm going to play it until the component cable arrives....

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
" *Whats the range on the remotes/controllers?

That one I don't know off-hand. I'm about 8-9ft away from the sensor"

The remotes need to be within IR range of the sensor (It's not really a sensor, just an IR repeater used to triangulate the position of the wiimote .. all the data is sent from the wiimote directly to the wii).

Anyways, the wiimote is Bluetooth technology, so the range of the Wiimote to the system is whatever bluetooth range is. As long as you can see your sensor bar, and your wii is in the same room as you, you will be 100% fine.

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator

Really, are you sure? Because I sit about 12 feet away from the sensor bar and I'm running into some trouble. When I point at the bottom corners of the tv the cursor gets really jumpy. I had to move a little closer when I needed to hit buttons on the corners during setup.

I don't own any blutooth devices, so I doubt I'm getting interference.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
I'm sure you're having IR interference then. It's most definitely not the bluetooth. Like I mentioned, the sensor bar is a series of 10 IR LED's that are used to triangulate the positon of the wiimote. The only reason there is a cord to the wii from the sensor bar is for power. There have been people already that have built their own custom "wireless" sensor bars for use with projectors. They basically just wired some IR LED's up to a battery pack and set it near their screen.

Like you said, your problem is probably not the bluetooth, I'm sure its the "sight" of the sensor bar. Try messing around with it, and adjust the sensitivity of the bar in the wii settings menu.

BTW, heres a link to a page explaining the wireless sensor bar for any DIY-ers with a projector here.

http://doctabu.livejournal.com/64758.html

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Neil, You can adjust your pitching, can’t remember which combos but you can throw a splitter, curve (I think a slider) and speed will change the same as bowling, in synch with the speed of your hand.

After 4 turns tossing cows, Raymonds Rabbid Rabbids, my wrist was going “WHAT”.

One factor Wii adds to gaming I’ve never seen before with X-box, PlayS or the former Nintendo’s is how much sheer fun it is to watch other people play. Each with their unique physical stances.
In the past it was like watching paint dry to see cross-legged gamers hunched over with a few sometimes sporting mouths hanging open, only the thumbs flying. Wii is so much more organic.
You haven’t lived till you have seen your mother slinging cows across the living room.

I know now why they included those wrist straps - had some 8 yr. olds playing the other night and one kept creeping up on the screen while slinging remote. Had to keep pulling them back before they became (literally) part of the game!

Wii is a blast.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Since the Wii remotes are Bluetooth, not IR to my knowledge based on their PDFs, I would say you'd have more leverage of distance then 9 feet.. probably closer to 20 would still be feasible.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
My nunchuk shipped yesterday from ToysRUs.com

I would reccomend checking that out if you're having trouble finding accessories.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
How long till we see lawsuits.... 'The Wii Mote slipped from my hand and wrecked my TV screen!' ;)

Also, does anyone know if you can bowl a turkey? I don't know if this is a Fairlawn bowling lane only thing, but a Turkey shows up on the screen if you get three strikes...

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Black Friday 2006.

Awake at 3:15 a.m. Four hours, Six stores and 1000 people later I found it. The moment before I stepped into the gamestore to purchase the Wii, this photo was taken for the Friday edition of The Capital Newspaper in Maryland, to be sent out later that day. T0T4L 0//n4gE !!!

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator

With what? If it's Zelda, then no big deal since you should buy that game anyways, otherwise that sucks.

EDIT: I just checked the website, yeah, that sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks