What's new

Wii: Inside the box! (1 Viewer)

Paul Simmons

Stunt Coordinator
No Wii's to be available at Costco USA at launch!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746424p1.html

Seeking to avoid the furor that overran its stores with last year's Xbox 360 launch, Costco has decided not to stock the Wii or PS3 in its stores this week. Instead, customers can purchase bundles online at costco.com.

Sales online begin Friday at 8 a.m. PST for PST and Sunday at 8 a.m. PST for Wii. It is a first come, first served sale available only to current Costco members. Orders are expected to ship beginning Monday, November 20.

thought i'd give a heads up to those who were planning on going to Costco to get a Wii

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Here are some Wii reviews:

Read - CNET (8 out of 10; Excellent)
Read - PC Mag (4 out of 5; Editor's Choice)
Read - Time (Recommended)
Read - CNN Money ("it's a heck of a lot of fun")

Brian-W

Screenwriter

Looks just like a SCART cable (applicable in Europe only) - similar to an RGB cable, but no U.S. based TV or monitor (save professional CRT ones) have this connector.

Nothing to see here, move along. :)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
That PC magazine review says the component cables include an optical audio output?

I didn't think that was happening. Would they bother with a digital connection if they're only going to stick with Dolby Pro Logic II. Granted, a digital connection is better regardless, but this is surprising if true. As the reviewer didn't actually have the cables I'm taking that statement with a large grain of salt.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Dang, you beat me to it.

SCART is a PAL thing. PAL is a stinker, it doesn't allow you to change video settings.:frowning:

Even Europeans complain about this thing.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
We have 30 of these at the Walmart I work at (.....damn...I work at WALMART...sigh..) and I have to say that the controllers are EXTREAMLY small, in my meathooks they seem prime to break....I hope they come out with more adult/westerner friendly controllers.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Was anyone able to get one? My Targets and Circuit Citys were sold out. Didn't even bother to try the other stores.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I went to Best Buy and Target this morning, but there were long lines of people, and were sold out immediately. I went to Circuit City which opens an hour later, and there was another long line. After two hours, I finally scored myself a Wii! :D

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I figured my small town Wal-Mart Supercenter would have one, but the clerk said they went fast. I'll have to keep trying I guess.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Ah, the perks of working in the video game department at Toys R Us... :P Knowing that the store's supply of 156 Wiis were going to sell out by the time I got off work, I asked the manager to hold one of the consoles for me. To my very welcome surprise, he actually agreed to do it! After several hours of selling Wiis to other people, it was finally my turn to get mine. I was so thrilled to finally take that baby home. :D

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
My report from other boards. Never underestimate cold weather, no matter how tough you think you are!

Quick report...

Wayne TRU:

Arrived, 10:40PM. Luckilly no dear hit. 40 people in line, 20 intending to get a Wii...
12PM: Same situation, two extra people behind me.

1AM: Mis judged the cold, went inside car for 4 hours.

5AM, waited till 5:30, went back out line. Line now goes beyond TRU to the route road, almost around the building.

8:30AM: Call father, saying I think it would be a good idea if you drove here, we leave one car there, we drive home in my car. Dead tired, cold getting too me with only a sweatshirt on.

8:45 re-inforcments arrive via one parent and winter clothes, ala jacket, glove, and hat . It was only for an hour, but well worth it .

9:50AM: Manager lets people in, (Who I thought was an antsy customer counting people ahead of him to see how far behind he was in line. He obviously didn't need me to tell them they only had 85 units ), I get my Wii after I teach my legs how to walk again. 12 hour experience done in 5 minutes .

Picked up Dragonball and Zelda.

See you in five years )

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I picked mine up last night at midnight, and I'm having trouble with it. Apparently, my remote cannot stay synched up to the system at all. Everytime I power up the console, I have to re-synch it. That wouldn't be so bad, except I have to also do it whenever I start up a game or visit the Mii channel as well. As extra remotes are hard to come by, I haven't been able to test another controller to see if it's the Wii itself, or just a dud controller packed in. It's really weird, because I haven't seen anyone else report this particular problem. It never messes up in the middle of a game at all, so I can live with it, but it's very annoying.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, I've messed with the sensor bar, but I've since talked to a guy who's having the same problem. He says he only has problem with one controller, because his other works perfectly. This leads me to believe that it's not a problem with the console itself, which is good news. I just need to get my hands on another remote, which hasn't proven easy.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Just curious, but is anyone else's Wii get very hot when plugged in for a long time? Mine is, and I'm hoping this won't be a problem when future games use the WiiConnect 24 feature. Mine's standing vertical on the stand, BTW.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I've spent the day playing with one, and let me say, this is the way a gaming system should be. Yes, the graphics are not like a PS3 or XBOX360. But I've had more -fun- with the games I picked up then I had with many of the games elsewhere. There is kind of an easy, laid back get involved feel to them. Very addictive game quality.

And, as a parent, I LOVE the remote system. I like the idea that the games we have for the most part require my kids to get up and do stuff rather then just sit there and hold a controller; it's cool watching them run around trying to play the games. :)

I think Nintendo figured something out: the most important thing about a game system is that the games need to be entertaining. Because they definitely did well on that point.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

I think Nintendo has always been able to nail this down. They've been in the home video game business successfully longer than anyone else currently in the game. NES was 1984, correct?

They must be doing something right. Not to say Playstation and Xbox don't have something great to offer, but save for GTA3, all the console games I get hooked on are Nintendo.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
The main thing that keeps me buying Nintendo consoles are the controllers. The wiimote is an awesome way of controlling Link, throwing a baseball and batting is a blast. Xbox360, PS3, they have done nothing to make gaming revolutionary. If I want amazing graphics I'll turn on my computer, if I want addicting gameplay and a great control system I'll turn on my Wii.

Who thought they would ever be saying "lets go workout by playing Wii Boxing"? lol Can you imagine a floor pad with a nunchuk and remote in each hand playing DDR, hand moves included? :D

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

I didn't hook it up until 2 PM yesterday afternoon (I wanted to get a few hours of sleep in after being up all night waiting in line). Anyways, I just felt my Wii - which has been plugged-in for a good 18 hours now and, yes, it's warm to the touch but not alarmingly hot. I've taken the day off from work (I planned a vacation day around the Wii once the release date was announced, LOL). I'll spending most of the day getting acquainted with the machine. I'll try to remember to feel it after a few hours of gameplay to see if the temperature situation changes much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks