What's new

Wierd noise from speakers (1 Viewer)

Eran

Auditioning
Hi,
I use AVR300RDS receiver and Eltax speakers.
My problem is that when I hear Tv or Video(not DVD) with surround(hall 1/2, theater, DPL, etc...) I hear a wierd sound, sounds like electricity(exposed wire or something)
Hope you understand me :)
thanks Eran

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
I have heard that sound with my old Yamaha receiver.
Unfortunately all i could figure out was that either the receiver or the tv audio signal(or should i say cable) wasnt encoded correctly.
It definitely wasnt my speakers or wires, since everything else sounded just fine (2 channel music, and 5.1 surround)
Hope someone can chime in with a more technical explanation.
------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."
[Edited last by Henry Carmona on October 17, 2001 at 07:31 AM]

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Actually if I understand correctly, it sounds more like a hum? If so, and it only shows up while watching cable, it's a ground loop. Ground loops present themselves as a hum and are a result of cable grounding issues from your cable provider.
I recommend finding a powerstrip or power conditioner that includes a cable hookup. Once you connect your cable lines, the hum should go away. A temporary fix(or permanent fix, depending on where you live), would be a "cheater" plug, one that defeats the ground pin.
Sam

Eran

Auditioning
Well it's more like a "tak tak tak" :) not a hum.
like when u take negetive and postive electricity cables and connect take for a second than you hear the same sound...
"tak tak tak" :))
hope you understand
Thanks Eran

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Either way, it's interference of some sort, and start with the cheapest and easiest first...a cheater plug. If using a cheater works, and the thought of it disturbs you, or is against local electrical codes, try my second idea-a power strip with cable filters.
Sam

Rob Higgins

Agent
Does the sound / hum only happen when your cable TV is turned on? If so, you are experiencing the dreaded ground loop. You can use a cheater plug (differing opinions on the safety of this trick). I bought a MAGIC (Mondial Antenna Ground Isolation Circuit). It is a small box, like a cable splitter. You run your cable our from the wall into this, and out into your TV or VCR. Cost me about $100, but fixed the problem.
Good luck,
Rob

Eran

Auditioning
Hehe,
you all say cheater i am kinda new at this all so i don't really know what a cheater means :)
and the i hear the sound when i use theater, hall 1/2, DPL or any surround with all non DVD stuff (Tv, Video, Radio)
hope you know what i mean
thanks Eran

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Eran,
We are wondering what the status of your cable TV service is when you hear the noise. Is it when watching TV like you said originally? or is it when watching or listening to ANYTHING on your receiver?
It could be a ground loop from your TV service, your electrical service, or it could be a problem with your receiver...but we can't help you unless we know exactly when it happens(ignore what DSP setting you have, what SOURCES make the noise?). Also, do you hear it in your main speakers, or do you hear it in your sub, or all speakers? Does it increase in volume when you turn the volume up, or is it static?
A Cheater plug(which should be a first step for you to take because of price and ease of installation), is a plug that you plug a 3-pronged cord into, but only has 2 prongs on the other side. It eliminates the ground pin on your cord, and many times eliminates the annoyance of interference. THey cost about a dolla at your local hardware store.
THey might be against electrical codes in your local area, but as a temporary measure, they'll do just fine.
Sam

Eran

Auditioning
Sam,
I hear the sound with anything except DVD
when i use surround off i don't hear the sound.
i think it's when there is low sounds like when i hear soft music, the "taks" gets higher when i turn the volume higher but the frequncy stays the same, i hear it in the speakers sometimes left, center or right, or combained.
hope this is enough info and that i wrote it good.
Thanks Eran

Eran

Auditioning
Sam,
when I use surround off I don't hear the sound.I think it's when there is low sounds like when I hear soft music, the "taks" gets higher when I turn the volume higher but the frequency stays the same, I hear it in the speakers sometimes left, center or right, or combined.
hope this is enough info and that I wrote it good.
Thanks Eran

Eran

Auditioning
Sam,
when I use surround off I don't hear the sound.I think it's when there is low sounds like when I hear soft music, the "taks" gets higher when I turn the volume higher but the frequency stays the same, I hear it in the speakers sometimes left, center or right, or combined.
hope this is enough info and that I wrote it good.
Thanks, Eran

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Eran, it doesn't sound like a Ground loop.
How old is your receiver? How long has it made this noise? What is the make and model of it?
For clarification, is it only when you have a surround mode on? or does it also make the noise in stereo mode?
Do you have any motorized pieces of equipment on the same electrical cirsuit? Any other peices of equipment near your HT setup that may cause interference?
Just a few questions that may help things along. I STILL think you should try a cheater plug, NOW, so that you'll know if it's a receiver problem, or an electrical/ground problem.
Sam

Eran

Auditioning
Sam,
sorry for the three messages *bugs*
smile.gif

as I said stereo works fine, only "Non DVD" stuff like Tv and radio
my receiver is Harman/Kardon AVR300RDS i just bought it dunno how new it is.
i have close to the receiver - Tv, digital cable, DVD, video
the wires are kinda in a mass and all the above are connected at the same circut.
about a cheater plug, how do i know if it's leagal and should i just go to electornics shop and ask for a cheater?
another thing is how do i know if i have a ground loop or what ever i am really new at this
smile.gif

Thanks, Eran

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I live in Calfornia, and I believe they are legal...we don't have too much loghtning. I know they are ILLEGAL in Canada...that's about as far as my knowledge of the legal issue goes.
I'd just go and ask for a cheater. If they have them, they'll sell one to you, if not, and it's illegal, they'll tell you so.
Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks