What's new

widespread HD-DVD/BluRay playback via PC delayed til 2008? (1 Viewer)

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
The title of your thread is very misleading, playback will most likely be possible by using the next version of Power DVD (just like you need now to play SD DVDs)

The only thing the article actually says is that the next version of Windows media player will not support HD DVD or Blu Ray, so what?

A side note (previoulsy mentioned in several threads regarding VC1, MPEG2, MPEG4 etc.)

codex-(Latin for block of wood, book; plural codices) is a handwritten book, in general, one produced from Late Antiquity through the Middle Ages.

codec (plural codecs)-device or program capable of performing encoding and decoding on a digital data stream or signal. The word "codec" is a portmanteau of any of the following: 'Compressor-Decompressor', 'Coder-Decoder', or 'Compression/Decompression algorithm'.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
it's not misleading nor irrelevant. SD-DVD were available to PC users in 1999 if they had a DVDROM and DVD decoder installed.

note the thread title is WIDESPREAD. even you can technically play HD-DVD in 2007 when it is released and technically PowerDVD CAN play HD-DVD right now, if HD-DVD drives and BR weren't so expensive and restrictive and finally, available.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Thats about how I feel about Windows Media Player not supporting HD-DVD or Blu-ray playback, So What! I dont like using MP for playing back SD-DVD's so I am sure I wouldn't use it for HD content. I would rather use a program like Power DVD for watching movies on my pc. And even then I do not watch many movies on my PC. Why watch movies on a PC when i can put a dvd into my HT and watch it on a 50" screen instead of a 19" screen. :laugh:

But I guess what I am getting at is that it will not bother me in any way if MS does not support playback of HD content with there MP software. :cool:

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
there are people who use HTPC to watch SD-DVD+ffdshow+dscaler to refine their SD pictures. plus, it's "automatic" 720p (or whatever your display's native resolution) upscaling anyway. people like me don't have TV's, i only have a HTPC and watch everything via that route. many of today's HDTV's are more or less computer displays and vice versa. the differences are in methods of connections and optimizing images.

thus, it's important what software/codex are supported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks