What's new

Widescreen War Won! (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
About some of the comments about the 2 disc editions. Whilst I think Disney should release everything in OAR, I for one will not pay more than about a £1 extra for the 2 disk version of 90% of movies if the single disk version has the same first disk. Special Features only matter to me in my absolute favourite films.

Which non collectors edition have a compromised OAR??
In the UK the single disc Sleeping Beauty, Atlantis and Monsters, Inc. have MAR only transfers.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
And yet another blow

I was at my Library today and saw a copy of "The Ring" to my dismay, it was Full Screen. My Library was a big supported of OAR in it's DVD catalog, I asked the librarian if they had and Widescreen, and she told me that was all they had. So now, my Blockbuster and my Library has defected. (Have to wait and see on what else comes in to the Library). I just know that people were complaining at the library about the W/S format on DVDs they were getting FOR FREE so they pandered to J6P and got "The Ring" In F/S. I really don't want to have to purchase this DVD just to see it. What I don't understand is why do places like that go with only one version and pretend the other does not exist? I really, truly hope this is a one time thing at my Library, but it almost certainly isn't.

I'm fearing that we may be losing the war.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
According to my calculations, and I have looked at a LOT of stats from various sources, over a period of time, WS version outsells Fullscreen versions by about three to two, for the first two weeks. Then, after that, it jumps to about 3 to one. Then it continues to climb upwards.

By the way, for those of you that do not know, widescreenadvocate dot com has expired. The site can be reached @ widescreenadvocate.org, until the .com domain is re-activated, which will be within a weeks time.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Joshua,

Were do you get this Info, I'd like to take a look?

Of course, OAR might outsell because people like us tend to buy more than rent. If every rental was counted as a sale, I fear that P&S would win

I'm just pissed that sometimes I cannot see certain movies in OAR without having to purchase them.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Well as you can see the war might not be totally over when someone with that large a TV thinks a letterbox image is too small. He's obviously not indicative of everyone, but still.
Having too say the widescreen war is not won till "EVERY" J6P watches OAR, is like saying the second Gulf War won't be won till the French say it was a 'just & noble' cause ;)

Yeah Rick, so large a screen & so little knowledge!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm fearing that we may be losing the war.
WillG,
I was by no way inferring that widescreen is now the 'only' format for the masses.
I am crazy, not stupid!
I believe the War too be won, at the HD TV/cable, DVD sales (still a huge difference between the sales & rental markets), Music videos, Letterbox commercials (paving the way too acceptance of the dreaded black bars by everyday consumers), & now even sports!
Producers & content providers are giving us widescreen, and early 2002, it just was not 'looking' to be that way.
Let the fight continue, but I now know the outcome.
WE WIN!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I just very dismayed when I posted last. I'm still upset about seeing all F/S of "The Ring" at my Library. I really hope this was an exception as that title seems to be extrordinary popular with the mainstream (all reviews I read indicated this movie is actually pretty medicore). I really hope the studios are going to go more to DVD-14 and DVD-18 so these ridiculous dual releases and P&S only will stop. I know Widescreen still sells well enough, but it is getting very hard to find a DVD in W/S without having to buy.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
For the one who claims that there is no point of making HD diplay with less than 32" size... if any manufacturer starts making 28" 16:9 TVs, I'll be first in line to buy the TVs. Three of them to be exact.

I only watch DVD; no cable, no TV. Most of my DVDs are in 16:9. My rooms, however, can't accomodate 32" HDTV (let alone larger screen). Even my cabinets can only accomodate the equivalent of 28" 16:9 TVs.

The other thing is... why can't North American sellers sell smaller 16:9 screens just like in Europe, Australia and Asia? I remembered the day I bought a 14" 16:9 Sony Trinitron and a 20" 16:9 Panasonic TV.

... end of rant.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
For the one who claims that there is no point of making HD display with less than 32" size... if any manufacturer starts making 28" 16:9 TVs, I'll be first in line to buy the TVs. Three of them to be exact.
You got me on that one! :emoji_thumbsup:
Saw my friend's 16:9 17" LCD (iMac), incredible!
Was inferring that the under 36" customer would be the least likely to absorb the additional cost of widescreen.
And I still know this to be true for CRT.
They are predominantly price point shoppers still.
Someday it will all be widescreen.
(Birds singing, Butterflies fluttering, & Rainbows glowing!)

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
With one of my most eagerly anticipated titles, Juggernaut with Richard Harris, finally being announced for release on DVD but in fullscreen only (thanks for nothing, MGM!), I would hardly declare the war "won".

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks