What's new

? Widescreen DVD on a Widescreen HDTV (1 Viewer)

EricTB

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I recently bought a 32" LCD flat panel widescreen HDTV. What I am wanting to know is if you watch a DVD movie that is presented in widescreen format on a widescreen HDTV should I still be able to see the black bars?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
HDTVs are 16x9 which equates to 1.78:1. Movies are generally shot in one of two formats: 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. Neither of these perfectly fit a 16x9 screen. So yes, it is normal to see the bars.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Seth is correct. I'd like to elaborate on his answer though:

Q: if you watch a DVD movie that is presented in widescreen format on a widescreen HDTV should I still be able to see the black bars?

A: Not if you keep your eyes on the movie instead of on the bars.;)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
If you have your DVD player set up properly (set to 16:9 Widescreen from the DVD player's SETUP menu), you generally won't see "black bars" on 16:9 enhanced transfers of 1.85:1 aspect ratio movies.

Examples of 1.85:1 aspect ratio movies:
* Jurassic Park series
* Back to the Future series
* Shrek series

If the 16:9 enhanced transfer is in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio then you will see "black bars" on your new Widescreen set, but they will be much smaller than the black bars exhibited for these same movies on a legacy 4:3 aspect ratio monitor.

Examples of 2.35:1 transfers:

* Star Wars series
* Indiana Jones series
* X-MEN series

Just be aware of the fact that you need to alter your DVD player's DISPLAY settings in the player's SETUP menu to "16:9 Widescreen" in order to get the most out of 16:9 enhanced , anamorphic, DVD transfers.

*** Edit ***
Since this is your first HDTV, you also need to know that you will get a much better picture if you run a component cable (rather than s-video) from your DVD player to your monitor; and, if your DVD player provides it, set the player up to provide a progressive scan signal to the monitor via the component cable. Also, you should be aware of the fact that upscaling players using HDMI connections, like the Tosh HD-A2 (which also plays HD-DVD discs) can breath new life into your standard DVDs when viewed on a HDTV monitor.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It depends on the AR of the film. If the film is 16:9, there won't be bars. But a huge number of films (probably most) are wider than 16:9 so you will still have bars. This is normal and desireable for OAR.

EricTB

Stunt Coordinator
Awwww ok. Your answers have been very helpful. Btw I use my Xbox 360 to view my DVD movies. Infact the reason why I brought up this question was because last night I was watching Fantastic Four (the one with Jessica Alba and Chris Evans) and wondered if the black bars are suppose to show. I have my Xbox 360 connected to the HDTV with the available component cables. But thanks for the very helpful answers I appreciate it.

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
Another little detail that I would like to add is that although a movie with a 2.39:1 aspect ratio still shows black bars on a widescreen display, the bars are only half as thick as they would be on a standard 4:3 tv set. So at least there's a bright side to all this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks