What's new

widescreen coming...recommend 1st DVD to watch (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Isn't the A&E Emma 1.33:1? Not what I would choose to show off a 16x9
set.
Yes it is (forgot about that...you could always zoom it) ...That's why I listed it in the "good content" portion...the portion that won't win any awards based on image quality. You're right, in that sense it's not something that would specifically relate to "selling" the advantages of a widescreen set...but it has a story good enough to make the "value" of HT in general more apparent to sometimes-resistant partners ;)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
For animated fare, try Shrek and for live action, try Vertical Limit - SB. Both are 1.85:1 and will eliminate the "why are the black bars present questions" until they get accustomed to how sidescreen operates.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I don't think ANY reference disc would win her over if she doesn't like the film, I'd have to say Sleepless In Seattle for my wife.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I took delivery of a Sony 57" on Saturday. Had a good friend over that night for the first full movie viewing. We watched A Beautiful Mind (she had not seen it) and I have to say to my eyes the transfer was stunning. Very detailed and three-dimensional - there were scenes where we felt we were looking through a window. So if you're looking for something recent it would be a good choice.

Tim K

Second Unit
I think I will go with the suggestions of Toy Story 1&2 or Shrek....as both are chick friendly, great movies, and in my collection. I'll let you know how the reviews turn out!

Thanks.

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet:
Almost Famous
Great film, girl friendly, great transfer, great sound, and 1.85: It's a can't miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks