Wide bookshelves for $250 and sub for $100

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ken Burkstrum, May 20, 2006.

1. Ken Burkstrum

Ken Burkstrum Stunt Coordinator

My brother wants to get a pair of bookshelf like speakers fo rno more then $250 and a subwoofer for $100. He wanted the bookshelves to be wide so I figured bi-poles so I suggested either two athena center speakers or two athena bi-poles from best buy which he could pick up and be home with in 30 minutes and then to order a dayton 10 inch.

I'm wondering if there would be any better choice speaker wise that you could get for the same price (including shipping)? Like lots of unknowledgable people, if you say something is pretty good and you can go pick it up at best buy, they tend to lean toward that direction but if there are anything fastly superior he'd probably go with that.

I haven't payed much attention lately but last I checked the Dayton 10 inch was the prefered choice for a $100 sub but I have no idea where to find it online so if anyone could help me with that that would be great.

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Parts Express sells the Dayton subs. Every so often it goes on sale for under $100 and it looks like it's had a slight redesign since last year, when I purchased mine. Parts Express also lists them on Amazon.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-633

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

wide? Are you speaking of soundstages? I don't think a dipole is appropriate.

4. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

For the bookshelfs how about some JBL E50's? They can be had for under $250, but it looks like a lot of places don't have stock anymore (including the authorized online sellers).