What's new

Wi-Fi Antenna for BD Ethernet connections? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark,

I would hope there would be a "Suggested Values" button as I have
no idea what to put in otherwise.

Can't believe this thread has gone on for two pages and I still have
not successfully connected. However, I am obviously almost there
and I thank all of you for your help.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The "Suggested Values" inserted nothing.

Still not able to get this configured. Will keep trying and get
back to you.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Ron is there anywhere in your setup(advance wireless settings) that you can pick infrastructure or ad-hoc? From what I've read in your manual, on page Appendix B-1 it has to be in set to infrastructure to connect to wireless network devices. I had to do the same thing with my D-link.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it should most definitely be set to "Infrastructure".Try adding them in manually.

The Subnetmask is almost always 255.255.255.0
The Gateway is the IP of your router (which is most commonly 192.168.1.1)
The static IP should be a number that is not being used by your alloted DHCP list.

If you're not sure what the DCHP range is; check your router settings. If DHCP is enabled, there should be a DHCP starting IP as well as a Max. # of DHCP users. For example, my DHCP starting IP is 192.168.1.150 and I allow 50 users, which gives me between 192.168.1.150 & 192.168.1.199, so all of my static IP's are in the 200's.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark,

Will give this a go later this evening.

Your instructions are simple enough. Just not certain how to find
out the DHCP on my router. That will be the most difficult part for
the moment.

Kevin,

Concerning the ad-hoc, I remember no such settings on the browser
configuration tool, but I will look again. Almost positive the answer is
"no" on that.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ron, once you log into your router, there should be settings for DHCP (probably around the same area that the routers IP address is).

Again, just figure out what the starting IP is and how many users it allows and that will give the range to avoid when setting up a static IP. I believe the default start IP is 100. (i.e. If your routers IP is 1921.168.1.1 then the default DHCP IP will most likely be 192.168.1.100)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, I kept the IP SUBNET MASK the same at 255.255.255.0 but
changed the IP ADDRESS to 192.168.0.205. Not certain why
I picked that number, but I felt that as suggested, going into the 200s
was the right thing to do.

I then went into my browser and typed in the new IP address and
found still no connection.

I think we are nearing the point where I put up the white flag and
thank all of you for sticking with me throughout these two pages
of posts.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I think the manual is incorrect regarding static vs. DHCP address assignments. My device is still pulling its IP address via DHCP after completing the setup. I never entered a fixed IP address for the device during the Netgear setup process.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Ron--I'll attempt to "diagram" how your network setup should eventually look like w/ the Netgear in place (based on the equipment you mentioned so far):

[Internet] -> Verizon router (IP address 192.168.0.1) -> Apple Airport router (IP address 192.168.1.1) -> [Various devices connected to your Apple Airport router, either hard-wired or wireless--e.g., Mac/Windows PC/laptop, Netgear Print Server that you just bought). The Netgear needs to be configured to have an IP address that's on the same subnet/network as your Apple router--i.e., its IP address should start with the same first three sets of numbers that your Apple router uses (192.168.1), and of course you need to assign the Netgear an IP address that's either not already in use or that you plan to assign to one of your other devices (e.g., Tivo, Panny BD player, etc.). I don't know anything about setting up/configuring the Verizon router from a network standpoint, but I would not be surprised if your Verizon and Apple routers do not use the same third octet in their IP addresses (i.e. the first two sets of numbers may be identical but the third--and fourth--set isn't).

Note--the IP addresses used above are just examples; the ones used on your network may vary slightly but the main point is that the Netgear's IP address (if reconfigured) needs to share the same first three sets of numbers as that of the Apple router. Now if the Netgear is to be eventually connected to the Verizon router (wirelessly or otherwise), then that's a different story but ideally the Netgear needs to be configured to be on the same subnet as that of the Apple router.

It goes w/o saying that in order to get the Netgear to correctly talk to the Apple router on your home network, you will need to configure it first; that is where the recommendation to first directly connect the Netgear to a PC/laptop (using an ethernet cable) comes into play--via the web configuration page you assign the Netgear an IP address similar to that of your Apple router (in reality, what you're doing here is changing the default IP address of the Netgear to one that'll play nice on your home network--more on that in a moment) and tell it how to correctly authenticate wirelessly to the Apple router (SSID, encryption type, encryption key, which it appears you were successfully able to configure on the Netgear since you mentioned that it found your wireless network when you performed a scan).

Seeing how it appears the default IP address of the Netgear is 192.168.0.102, you can choose to leave it at that only if the IP address of your Apple router starts with "192.168.0" and no other device on your home network is already using that exact 192.168.0.102 address; otherwise you'll have to change the Netgear's IP address (based on the web configuration page you posted, looks like it can be done under "Print Server Settings"). So if the IP address of your Apple router starts with "192.168.1", then you'll need to change the Netgear's IP address from 192.168.0.102 to something that starts with 192.168.1" (e.g., 192.168.1.20 if "20" isn't already in use by another device or reserved for DHCP use). Note--you may want to change the Netgear's IP address after you've configured the wireless settings on it since once you make the IP address change and click "Apply" the connection between your Mac and the Netgear will most likely drop. Also--if your Apple router has MAC filtering enabled for wireless devices, you will also need to add the MAC address of the Netgear to the list of wireless devices allowed to wirelessly connect to the Apple router (this step is performed on the Apple router).

Once you've configured what needs to be configured on the Netgear (e.g., IP address, wireless settings), you can then disconnect it from your Mac and power-cycle the Netgear to come up as a standalone wireless bridge. If the Netgear was configured correctly, then any devices connected to the Netgear (like your Panny and Tivo) should then be able to "see" the Apple router (and beyond, if need be). If you choose to manually assign static IP addresses to your Panny and/or Tivo--just make sure you don't give them the same IP address as that of the Netgear; if you're using DHCP, then just make sure that the Netgear IP address doesn't fall in the range of reserved DHCP addresses (as mentioned earlier).

P.S.--there may be other ways to achieve the same result but I personally chose to assign a static IP address for my Linksys wireless router (similar in function to your Netgear, other than the print server part), rather than tell it to pull a DHCP address from my Netgear wireless router (akin to your Apple router).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
TonyTone,

I very, very much appreciate the effort above.

This is getting to be way more than I originally had expected.
To do what you suggested is going to take a lot of time to go
through. That may take me another week or two.

On the outset, looking at what you posted, as thorough as I
am certain it is, it looks to be somewhat confusing. I really
need time to sit, get in the right frame of mind, and hope I
figure it all out.

Thank you again.

I have to get my Tivo hooked to a network across the house where
there is no phone connection so instead of relying on this Netgear,
I am going to purchase a Tivo USB antenna and hope it connects to
my WiFi network.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thought I would offer an update here...

I finally got this print server working this morning.

Not sure exactly what I did, but there were two changes I recently
made to my network.

First, I made my APPLE EXPRESS the primary router and put the
Verizon Fios router as a secondary (turning off its wireless).

On the NETGEAR web configuration I opted for a different encryption
method I never heard of before but allowed me to enter my 7-digit
password. Upon saving the setups the blue wireless light was steady
instead of the blinking like it usually did.

I hooked up the NETGEAR to my Blu-ray player across the house
and connected to BD LIVE. A connection was made, though I must
admit it took about 5 minutes for the BD LIVE connection to complete
(not sure if this is normal).

In any event, it works. Anyone who says you can't hook up this
NETGEAR under a Macintosh can now be proved wrong.

Thanks, everyone, for your assistance.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark,

I dunno.

It wasn't WEPA or WPA. It was some other option. I just gave it
a whirl and that seemed to connect the Netgear.

I am just elated that after all this time, after being convinced I
was going to throw it out, that I got this thing to work.

ducklin5

Auditioning
Real Name
azeez
is there a broadcasting antenna that connects to ethernet port :( because my router is wired router and i want to make it a wireless ( so i can use inter net in other rooms) by adding an antenna what to do!!! PS i dont want to buy it (im broke). im going to make it.

ducklin5

Auditioning
Real Name
azeez
here a rough picture of what i wanted. i have every thing other than the antenna (the blue line). an the only way i can connect it to the router is by ethernet port. 1) is this possible. 2) if it is, what do i do

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
ducklin5 said:
is there a broadcasting antenna that connects to ethernet port :( because my router is wired router and i want to make it a wireless ( so i can use inter net in other rooms) by adding an antenna what to do!!! PS i dont want to buy it (im broke). im going to make it.
If your current router is wired-only, then simply adding an antenna is not a solution. You need a device that contains an 802.11 radio. Your options are to either (1) install an 802.11 wireless access point, which would connect to one of the open ethernet switch ports on your router, or (2) replace your wired-only router with a new router that has built-in 802.11 wireless. Many of the new wireless access points and wireless routers have built-in antennas, so there would be no actual external antenna involved.

ducklin5

Auditioning
Real Name
azeez
where do i get a 802.11 wireless access point, and this device is connected to the router right ? im broke by the way so im making it instead

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Newegg.com has several wireless access points, it appears starting at around $26. Best Buy and the office supply stores probably also carry them. This is not a device that you would make yourself, unless you are a computer engineer looking to do it as a project. Even then, buying all the necessary components would probably cost you more than buying one off the shelf.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks