Why would I want a Roku?

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Ron,Vudu isn't a subscription service like Netflix, so there's nothing to cancel. It's great to rent movies from, though. You defiantely want to use that over Amazon as Amazon only streams in 720p.One free app I can't live without is SkyNews, if you would like to use the Roku for something other than movies. Pandora is another good one.I am curious as to your thought on a blu-ray title vs. an HDX title on Vudu. Perhaps you can use a UV code on a new release to facilitate a comparison?

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Roku also upconverts the Amazon 720p video signal to 1080p.

3. Mooooovies

Mooooovies Auditioning

Mark
    Can any Roku owners confirm if HBO Go, Showtime, and Max Go (Cinemax) are available applications?

Thanks!

4. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Screenwriter

Wayne
    Yes to HBO Go, Showtime just has sample episodes, No on Max Go the last I knew.

5. Mooooovies

Mooooovies Auditioning

Mark
    Thx Wayne.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

My old receiver doesn't have HDMI connections so I cannot watch Netflix in DD+ through my Roku 3. I have read that some HDMI connected receivers have issues with Netflix in DD+. Anyone having that issue? If not, what receiver are you using?

As far as HBO Go, it only works for specific Cable providers. Unfortunately, Comcast is not one of them.

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    If you do not use your Apple TV much maybe you should wait and see if a 4K model comes out in the next couple of years?