What's new

Why The Term "Joe 6 Pack" Must stop being used (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
As a case in point, how many of you have watched Lawrence of Arabia on your home theaters in it's original 2.76:1?
LOA's proper AR is 2.20:1. The DVD correctly presents it. Perhaps you're thinking of Ben-Hur.
I understand that you like filling your screen. You also think doing so gives the best presentation. The problem is that the mission of HTF disagrees with you. No amount of justification on your part is going to overcome this. Wanting every movie to fill a 16x9 screen is no better than wanting every movie to fill a 4x3 screen, and you're not going to convince the forum membership otherwise.
DJ

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
DJ,

I stand corrected ...... it was Ben Hur.

I wish someone with fresh homework on this would jump in here and explain the following based on historical and scientific facts:

1) Human perception and the "shape" we see the world in when we look out of our eyes before having to rotate our eyes in their sockets. (....it's not 2.35:1 BTW)

2) How 1.78:1 was decided on for HDTV? (....I don't think it was the "average of 1.33:1, 1.66:1, 1.85:1, 2.00:1, 2.20:1, 2.35:1, etc.")

3) Why about 2.5-3.5X the height for viewing distance relates to human perception?

4) Why the entertainment industry went to ever-widening OAR's starting in the 50's (....it was related to theater revenue due to television, not artistic expression BTW)

It's OK to be dogmatic about OAR. My problem with this is not flatly stating it's for dogmatic reasons versus trying to justify it based on perservation of some intrinsic quality. A lot of video (and audio) parameters are important to rendering the artist's intent correctly and I can't see being hung-up on one - unless it's just a rational decision to be dogmatic.....which, as I said, is OK to call it as it is. As an example of one of my dogmas, I don't use Radio Shack video cables because I don't want to compromise artistic presentation, but I'm willing to capitulate to anyone and I say it's dogmatic on my part to do so.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I don't use Radio Shack video cables because I don't want to compromise artistic presentation
Odd that you care more about cables than you do about the films themselves. But, as evidenced by your previous comments concerning your television, you care more about watching your equipment than watching films. We hold different values. You're not going to convince me otherwise and I, apparently, won't convince you. I suggest we end this line of discussion at that, as this is getting ever further away from the thread's topic.

DJ

MatS

Screenwriter
YEAH, what everyone said (because I didn't have time to read it all)
plus it is totally insulting to 6 packs ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks