What's new

Why so many different 'LOTR' editions being released? (1 Viewer)

Shelley Douglas

Auditioning
John W:
More money sure, but all of us here have the benefit of a forum like this to inform us about all the different editions so we can make our choices up front, Joe and Jane who don't frequent these types of boards do not. All these versions are just going to confuse a lot of consumers.
---------------------------------------------------------
Actually "Joe and Jane" will get plenty of advanced notice. Especially if they are Lord of the Rings fans.
I realize I am coming late to this party, but I'm an admitted LoTR addict...I won't even tell you how many times I forked over $$$s in the theater to see the movie.
One more thing that hasn't been mentioned (I don't believe) is that the Extended version will also include the special credits that list the names of all the LoTR Fan Club Charter Members. In other words, MY name will be included in those credits!
The August release, unfortunately, won't include the list, but the November one will.
Doesn't really matter to me because I will own both.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
ok, it's officially six mintues into July 10 in my area, and Aaryn's site is already said to have exceeded its daily bandwitdh limit. Did anyone save the screenshots??

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
ok, it's officially six mintues into July 10 in my area, and Aaryn's site is already said to have exceeded its daily bandwitdh limit. Did anyone save the screenshots??
Don't know if these are Aaryn's screenshots, but they're screenshots from the EE nonetheless. So be happy with them.
http://www.lightsoutentertainment.co...26034669,4789,
And there are some here too from the preview on the upcoming 2-disc DVD for the EE. Heck, there are even pictures from the Two Towers!:
Link Removed

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ray - thanks much for that info - it really helped! looks like the 4-disc set for me! :emoji_thumbsup:

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Sorry guys to hype it up and make u wait til midnight. Those grabs i posted turns out to be the same as the ones at Lightsout.com :frowning: Thanx Ray. Meanwhile, I'll try to get newer grabs.
I will buy
Limited Extended Edition x 2
Widescreen Normal Edition x 1
|Normal Extended Edition x 1 (to watch)
(Yo, you guys are abusing my web hosting server, my sig can't appear :D)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dang it! I was only going to get the 2 + 5 disc sets, but now the collector in me (read: obsessed fanatic) is saying to get the 4 discer as well so that can be the "watch" copy and keep the 5 discer in a nice, safe, cool, dry place.

I'm such an addict, it's not even funny.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Now that's a true collector.

Myself, I have to get the 2 disk version because I want to have the movie as it was shown in the cinemas. Plus, I have to get the 4 disk version (would have been the 5 disk but I already have the NG disk).

My only fear is that they do this for all of the 3 movies and I have to have one shelf dedicated to just LOTR.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Already have my Blockbuster Rental card for my free 2-disc version... still thinking 4 or 5... 4 or 5...

Good thing I still have four months to decide...

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Assuming a similar DVD release plan will be followed for the next two films (theatrical first, then extended versions in "book" case), I plan on getting the "bookend version" (5-disc) this time around and the "4-disc versions" for the next two.

So, assuming the next two films also have extended/special editions in the same "book-like" DVD case, I'll be able to display all three "books" together between the Argonath bookends. That'll be just too damn cool!

Of course I'll be getting the theatrical versions of all as well.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Neil, I thought I read somewhere (don't have the link) that the National Geographic Tolkien disc would be different than the one already out, like more footage or something. Is that enough to get you to spring for the 5? (not to mention the argonath bookends). :D

Brenton

Screenwriter
So, assuming the next two films also have extended/special editions in the same "book-like" DVD case, I'll be able to display all three "books" together between the Argonath bookends. That'll be just too damn cool!
And won't you be disappointed next year when you realize that the Orthanc and Barad-dur bookends are so much cooler than the Argonath ones!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
And won't you be disappointed next year when you realize that the Orthanc and Barad-dur bookends are so much cooler than the Argonath ones!
While I really like the new "Orthanc and Barad-dur" teaser poster, I still like the "Fellowship"'s "Argonath teaser poster" much more. So, No. I don't I'll be disappointed. ;)
But some might be disappointed if the 5-disc package doesn't sell that well and they don't have any comparable bookends for the next two films. I mean, I think it's very unlikely that this 5-disc set won't sell well enough and that they won't have new bookends for the next two films. But it is certainly a possibility (at least a small one) that the "bookend" thing will be a one shot deal, and they won't have new bookends for the next two films. Then I'd hate to be the guy who passed on this one. ;)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I've got to get my LOTR fix real bad, so I'm getting both the theatrical edition and the extended edition.
I'm torn between getting the 5 disc collectors set vs. the 4 disc special extended. I like the packaging of the 4 disc and am not sure what the packaging looks like for the 5 disc.
Carlos, after scanning bestbuy.com this is what I was able to determine about the national geographic disc:
A new version of the National Geographic DVD Beyond the Movie: The Lord of the Rings
So, apparently there is some distinction.

Brenton

Screenwriter
The five disc set contains the four disc set, among other things. It's the same packaging and everything right there inside a bigger square box with the bookends, fifth disc and a couple of other unincidental things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks