What's new

Why so many different 'LOTR' editions being released? (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I wish all marketing-driven release were as consumer-minded as this one.

You know what would have sucked? If both the regular and SE releases had the same extras. Instead, we get brand-new material with the SE, thus more value for our money.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I like the option of having both sound formats. If you only got to hear it in DD or DTS while paying a least $9 to see it. Now you get to pay once a hear it until infinity. I'll be picking up th extended cut.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Now that I've thought about it, I think I'll be buying both the two and five disc sets. At first I was just gonna wait for the five disc box but I thought 'might as well get the theatrical cut too'. Also the fact that the features are different on both is incentive.
But most of all I like this movie cuz I LOVE acronyms.
Prepare for:
LotR:TFotR!

Jonathan_

Second Unit
I'll be buying both the 2 disc anf the 4 disc set. That way I can have both cuts of the movie. I'm doing the same thing with Pearl Harbor.:emoji_thumbsup:

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
So it's now 100% certain that the extended version will not offer any manner of also still seeing the film's theatrical version?

That was the only thing I was holding on. I don't need every possible extra if the 5 set could get me both versions of the film (through branching one would assume). Otherwise I will buy the 2 and 5 because I would want both versions of the film, just like Apoc Now for example.

Veli-Matti Reitti

Stunt Coordinator
This seems a tad ridiculous to me.
John: What exactly is ridiculous about it?:confused:
If you liked the movie like you said you should have no problem with this. Nobody's is forcing you to buy all the editions. Like so many others have pointed out i think it is very fair of the studio to announce the release of all the different editions at the same time. And because there is in fact two different cuts of movie is it's quite obvious that there will be two separate versions released at different times. The Collector's edition is merely a bonus for all those fanatic people outhere(myself included :) ) who not only liked the movie but LOVED it. Like Ricardo said the P&S version can't even be considered a fourth one.
I would have settled for the 5-disc CE but due to the length between the two releases i am too big of a fan to wait until November, i simply have to pick up the theatrical cut aswell. Since i was unaware of the fact that the bonus material on the theatrical cut isn't going to be on the CE i most certainly will be purchasing both versions.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Seth,
AFAIK, the theatrical edition is just that and the EV is just that. That's one of the reasons for multiple releases. And yes, extras are different on both.
PJ's interview in the latest Fan Club magazine discussed these very releases. I believe he said he was happy both versions would be available, but he actually wanted them BOTH to come out in August (I am certain NL didn't), but that it wassn't possible. He's also the guy pushing for consumer awareness of BOTH editions prior to 8/6. He has no desire to do anything but appease the fans with each release. Having seen a PJ behind-the-scenes doc, we are in for a treat. Fortunately, November will be a feeding frenzy in terms of DVD sales for Christmas, so I full expect to fins GREAT deals on all of the releases.
I completely agree with Ricardo on the consumer respect shown here with multiple releases. It's almost refreshing:) Oh, and I am also a 2/5er.
Take care,
Chuck

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
It's almost like telling the customer, "This is what you SHOULD have bought"
As has been said, the print and tv campaigns as of late July will promote both the August disc AND the November release. The features listing on the back of the 2 disc box when making mention of the preview trailer for the 4 disc may also indicate its release date.

Dan

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering about something...

Everyone keeps assuming that because the director's cut is 30 minutes longer, it will be the superior cut. I don't think we know this for certain yet. Just maybe the theatrical cut will be the better one...at least to some people's opinion.

Kami

Screenwriter
Everyone keeps assuming that because the director's cut is 30 minutes longer, it will be the superior cut. I don't think we know this for certain yet. Just maybe the theatrical cut will be the better one...at least to some people's opinion.
Possible but I doubt it. Most of the scenes going back in are character development scenes such as Gimli's attachment to Galadriel, Bilbo discussing the ways of hobbits at the beginning, and *crosses fingers* Gil-galad battling it out with Sauron in the prologue.

Still though, I want both cuts because I think they will both play out as almost different movies. 30mins is quite a bit.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. I know it has probably been asked already, but does is the 4/5 disc edition confirmed to have DTS yet? I'm happy with Dolby Digital, but I desire DTS oh so much more. It's very precious...

Aaron Garman

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The theatrical cut will certainly be better in some people's opinions. PJ himself has stated that the Expanded Version (not Director's Cut, he has said MANY times that he was well-pleased with what we saw) is a different version of the film, neither better or worse. I don't think anyone has pre-judged the EV.
That said, I expect to enjoy the EV better myself. PJ and team did not remove the moments because they were poor. Rather a pacing issue or a time one. I imagine they still serve the story quite well, and I am eager to see them. I am getting both. Not "just in case" or anything like that. I WANT both editions.
Again, I expect to enjoy the EV more because it is *more* of what we saw. That can't be bad:)
Take care,
Chuck

Clint B

Second Unit
I'm not sure if they'd have the room to do it, but is it possible that the theatrical cut could be an easter egg on the 4 disc edition (kinda sorta like what they did with the chrono cut of mememnto)?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well I was only gonna get the EV. But since I'm getting the TV free from Blockbuster, I guess I'll wind up with both.

But I agree, it seems everything in the TV is in the EV, plus the EV adds more scenes to flesh out the characters and were probably only cut to trim the films length.

Gruson

Second Unit
There is also the single DVD out there that does not come with the "extras" disc.

I just got done watching it and I must say, VERY nice audio presentation (DTS). Although, in some scenes with a lot of action, the voices seem to be a little low and hard to hear. I thought the video could have been better, as I noticed some artifacts in some of the close up scenes during the "gathering of the fellowship at Rivendell" on my 65" Mitsubishi.

The final DVD may look and sound different than this version I saw. Overall, I really enjoyed this DVD though.

I love this movie and cannot wait for the next one this December.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Gruson - is your disc the extended version? I thought that was the only version that was going to have DTS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks