What's new

Why so few sets capable of 24p? (1 Viewer)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Even the new batch of HDTVs, very few of them seem to have 24p capability, at least as I see listed in the specs. Sony seems to be an exception. Why is this?

EDIT: I will say I see "24hz" on a lot of them. Is that the same thing?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yes. Same thing. You still need to mate that 24hz HDTV with a high-def player that is capable of outputting 1080p24hz, and choices in players with that capability are small at the moment, or require a firmware update for some of the players.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
24p (24 frames per second; 24 Hz) is a newcomer to the gamut of different video signal formats used to go between consumer video devices such as TV's and DVD players.

Video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Actually the TV still displays at 60 fps or thereabouts (e.g. 72 fps). Incoming 24 fps signals are converted using 3-2 pulldown etc. to match the display's frame rate.

Also, 24 fps is not well suited for non-film sources and ideally the source device will switch back and forth as needed and the receiving device wil autoselect the frame rate each time it changes.

In addition to the different "resolutions" 720p, 480p, etc. 24 fps comes in two distinct flavors, "psf" or "segmented frame" with assumable pre-matched interlacing fields, and "p" real progressive.

24 fps progressive consumes less bandwidth and storage space than comparable 30 fps interlaced video. Since 1080p@60 won't be seen in HDTV broadcasts, 1080p@24 which is one of the ATSC HDTV formats, and which carries film source just as well as 1080i@30, will be seen more often in the future.

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
Although there seems to be an obvious advantage to not having to do the 3:2 pull down; there are a lot of good tvs out there that do an excellent job of 3:2 pull down making the 1080p24 moot; more of a marketing ploy like the 120mhz theme.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks