What's new

Why short run tv shows could be a money maker for studios on dvd.... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Battlestar Galactica is #1 on my list. 2nd would be the Flash Gordon cartoon that ran in the late 70s or early 80s. Another good one would be Star Blazers. And yet another series that I would love to have on DVD (heck, even VHS for that matter) is the 80s show Double Trouble. Damn, those twins were phat!

Richard Waller

Second Unit
The first series of Star Blazers is currently available. The second series is just now getting released. I've heard the quality isn't top-notch, though.

I would like Beavis & Butthead and Ren & Stimpy. The B&B probably wouldn't have the video watching sequences because music rights would kill them. For R&S, I'd like the John K. episodes.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Short (and relatively short)-run series I'd buy in a heartbeat, with no hesitation:
- Brooklyn South
- Ned and Stacey (Copyright holder: Capitalize on Debra Messing's name ;))
- Early Edition
- Caroline in the City
- Bob Patterson
- Claude's Crib (what are you looking at??)

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
Speaking of Morgan and Wong, I'd love to see "The Others" (the NBC TV series) find a way to DVD. The show was doing decently in the ratings, but was not picked up for a second season due to the upcoming XFL broadcasts. It was a very unique show that was picking up a lot of steam near the end.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I too liked the Others. Their was actually an episode that never aired. I believe it was called "Mora". Another show that had episodes that never aired was "Night Visions". The last few were to air in September. But, with 9/11. Fox scrapped the rest of the airings. There were 3 one hour(6 episodes) that never aired.

ps: Jeff Kleist, Do you know anyone at Morgan-Wong that would have info on the unaired "The Others" episode? If not do they have a web site?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
ps: Jeff Kleist, Do you know anyone at Morgan-Wong that would have info on the unaired "The Others" episode? If not do they have a web site?
I don't know anyone at Morgan/Wong. I met the Area51 SFX team, that was all. Wish I did, that info on their attempts is something that popped down the grapevine

The masters on StarBlazers are 20 years old, and even with "remastering" you can't polish a turd

Hopefully AnimEigo wasn't just yanking my chain when they hinted at a proper, subtitled release of Yamato sometime in the future

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
todd s, "Mora" actually was broadcast by NBC about 3-4 weeks after series finale was aired. They didn't promote it at all and by accident I stumbled onto the final 10 minutes of it. That really ticked me off at the time. :angry: I missed that episode and the penultimate one, so I would happily pre-order a DVD boxset of The Others to find out what I missed.
Because of that stunt, I have to check FOX's schedule often to see if the skipped episode of the live-action The Tick series is snuck into the lineup ("The Terror" w/ Armin Shimmerman). They played that game with the "Cap'n Toby" episode of The Lone Gunmen last year.
Link Removed is somewhere to start for more info on their projects.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I missed including VR5. Okay, whenever one of the shows in my sig gets made for DVD, a VR5 logo slides into its place! :)

GaryEA

Second Unit
I know of a couple hundred people that would pick up Relativity if they had the chance.
Considering that MSCL stemmed from the same production company as Relativity, I've got my fingers crossed for something happening at some point.
-g

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I'd still love to see Nowhere Man on DVD. It only ran one 25 episode season.
Wow, It's Your Move... I thought I was the only one left on the planet that remembered that show. I still have the two part "Dregs of Humanity" episode on tape (if the tape hasn't derteriorated yet).

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Sorry, I thought someone may have been more interested in actually SEEING the show and not what medium it is available on.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Oops... I need to add Lone Gunmen and Freaky Links to my list of short lived shows that I want on DVD as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks