Why SACD is not bigger than it is...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ken Stuart, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

Hello,

While surfing, I came across a great thread which should give SACD (and DVD-A) fans an idea of why these formats are not very successful.

The people in the thread are amongst those who (outside of dedicated audiophiles) should have the most motivation to be interested in SACD. So their honest and frank comments are illuminating:

http://www.pinkfloydfan.net/t2859.html

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Favorite quote so far:

3. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

4. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Which goes to show that most people (and by a large margin) purchased that disc for the CD layer.

Eventually Sony will learn that most people don't care.

5. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

[​IMG] Oh boy, the "Best Buy" generation strikes again.
    Hey but they have cool MP3 players and spend more time downloading music,then "chasing tails".

6. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Sounds like they maybe should have introduced SACD as a stealth format, placed in every CD player for a few years before they announced it existed. That would have helped it get accepted.

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Good grief, someone thought that the reason the DSotM SACD wouldn't play 5.1 was because it was encoded in DTS (a format created by the MPA?!?!) and the receiver was an older one that only supported DD.

Hmmmmmm, so even the great DSotM isn't enough of a "killer app" that convinces die-hard Floyd fans to get on board with SACD (as previously noted on this forum, for me this was the release that "forced" me to get a universal player). Many don't even seem to know what it is at all. Does this really makes us HTFers a bunch of elitists that happily lap up the newest formats?

8. MichaelTa

MichaelTa Agent

DSOTM is the reason I bought my SCD-CE775. FWIW I bought my DVD-A player because of the releases of American Beauty and Workingmans Dead. I never see any adds for either format nor is there any kind of push done by retailers.

9. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Raul said:

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Will said:

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

The record labels are in a Catch 22, and here's why.

1) Release hybrid discs. This seems like a great idea since the discs are backwards-compatible with the ubiquitous CD and DVD players. However, since CD and DVD players are ubiquitous, and the hybrids will play on them (most of the time), then why buy an SACD player?

2) Release single-layer discs. Most people don't have SACD players, so they can't play these discs.

The record labels should continue to release big titles on single-inventory hybrid discs, but Sony and Philips need to promote the SACD format for real. Otherwise, the best they can hope for is just a small percentage of hybrid disc buyers delving into SACD. Maybe they are happy with that as long as the discs sell.

13. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

Best place to find out what "real people" outside of our HTF cocoon think.

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

17. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

You think people are confused now, wait till SACD II comes out, new copy protection scheme and all. [​IMG]
    Sony does'nt know when to stop and if SACD fails to catch on, it will be no-ones fault but their own.

18. Michael St. Clair

'Real' people don't know what SACD is. That doesn't mean that audiophiles don't buy discs like DSotM for SACD layer, it just means that 'real' people aren't audiophile.

I know a dozen people who know there is a new DSotM disc (and some of them bought it), and not one of them knew what SACD was or that the disc had an SACD layer until I explained it. None of them were interested, but one asked me if I could get him a DTS cd (he actually knew what that was) of the new mix. [​IMG]

I'm sure that Sony/Philips have done marketing research and have a fair idea as to how many single-inventory hybrids are sold for the SACD layer, and the fact that they haven't told us is likely very telling.

ps DVD-A is in the same boat. People don't know what it is. Many people just think every concert or music video DVD is a 'DVD Audio'...if they've heard the term at all. Most of those who actually buy them just listen to the DD or DTS tracks and think they are listening to high-res...and are happy as can be.

pps I've spent plenty of money on DVD-A and SACD, so don't give me any bullcrap about me being biased. 95% of my friends and coworkers are non-audiophile and I am in touch with the common listener.

19. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

20. Michael St. Clair