What's new

Why must we spell things incorrectly? (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Tip of the day: If you ever witness someone try to pronounce crispy or creme as 'S'rispy or 'S'creme run away very quickly. :D

Edit: Krap! It's kool now. ;-)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Brett, he mentions regional issues. I'm sure non English speaking countries would find it easier to pronounce Kripsy with a hard K rather than Cripsy with a hard C because there are times when C can be soft sounding like an 'S'.

It may seem obvious to us English speaking individuals because we understand (at least sometimes do :D) the language, but it's always hard to remember the rules when English isn't your native tongue.

Case in point: I never know how to order "Chicken Francaise" in an Italian restaurant...is it pronounced (Fran-kays), (Fran-says), (Fran-chays)?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Revised tip of the day: If you ever witness someone who speaks English as their native language, or whom you know to have studied English to the point that they have become quite fluent with the language, try to pronounce crispy or creme as 'S'rispy or 'S'creme run away very quickly.

I like the original one better. ;)

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I never know how to order "Chicken Francaise" in an Italian restaurant...is it pronounced (Fran-kays), (Fran-says), (Fran-chays)?

Just ask for the freedom chicken.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The letter 'K' is not ambiguous.
Indeed it isn't at the start of a word. It's always pronounced as 'k' except when followed by 'n' when it becomes silent.

However, 'c' at the start of a word is always pronounced hard (as in 'carrot') rather than soft (as in 'celery') when the next letter is 'r'. As Brett has correctly pointed out, 'sr' at the start of a word is very difficult to pronounce (is there a word beginning with 'sr' in regular usage?). So 'Krispy Kreme' could be written 'Crispy Creme' without any great loss of comprehension. But then it wouldn't be as memorable.

Kevin Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
"However, 'c' at the start of a word is always pronounced hard (as in 'carrot') rather than soft (as in 'celery') when the next letter is 'r'. As Brett has correctly pointed out, 'sr' at the start of a word is very difficult to pronounce (is there a word beginning with 'sr' in regular usage?)..."

Yes, there is, if your name is "Bubba"

(Lemon Srimp, Srimp Creole, Srimp Sandwich, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks