What's new

Why Isn't MacGyver On DVD Yet? (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
RDA has done pretty well for himself.
He's starred in a vehicle for which his character's name became a relatively common verb "I'll MacGyver something", and he's launched a new franchise with Stargate (the movie would count if it weren't so apochryphal).

I'm a bit sad that season 8 will be the last for SG-1. I'd love to see 10 seasons and 200 episodes, but I'm happy with what we have, and I'm happy with the quality they've maintained. Hopefully the spinoff will continue the tradition.

I've always heard that they are each signed to a set number of theatrical features after SG-1 ends. I know that Malozzi has set about writing theatrical features for SG-1. I know at least one of them became the season finales of either 6 or 7. I think they'd do great in follow up films.

I do also hope that season 7 arrives on DVD before season 8 starts. It would only benefit season 8 and Atlantis. Many people may never catch up to broadcast with Atlantis unless the DVDs arrive more effectively.

Closer to the topic at hand, based on it's own popularity, combined with the success of SG-1 on DVD, I wholly expect that MacGyver will at least get a trial on Season 1. I'll be getting at least one copy.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Where, exactly, has it been definitively stated that SG-1 ends after S8? I know that RDA has said that he is done after S8, but I don't remember seeing anything that said the series was done. Granted, it would be different without him, but if they really wanted to, I'm sure they could make it work.

And to think, he was once a soap star... ;P

RG

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Sarah Michelle Gellar started in soaps too, you see where that got Buffy :).

I have not seen anyone confirm that season 8 will be the final season for SG-1, but there are a lot of hints that I'm aware of:

1) Shortenned season : 20 versus 22 episodes
2) Reduced contract for RDA
3) Season finishes filming in July rather than September (presumably to strike sets and make room for Atlantis).
4) Seasons 5,6, and 7 were "supposed" to be the last.
5) Atlantis is starting, with a 1 year -support- from SG-1.

and seperately:
Gatecon this year has already lined up Amanda Tapping and Michael Shanks with an eye towards RDA. To my knowledge, they've only ever had 1 primary per year if you don't count Don S. Davis or Teryl Rothery. This could be because of their 5th anniversary as a con, or it could be a big send off, don't know.

ALSO... Gatecon is running their con in July rather than September because of the modified season. It's possible and even likely that they were avoiding the possibility that no 9th season would be announced.

We can always hope. I would love SG-1 to continue as long as it can maintain its quality and vitality.

We'll get a clearer idea when Scifi starts running ads for season 8. They may include "final season" in the bumpers.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I've been on MacGyver overload lately with shows on SpikeTV and TVLand. I even schedule my lunch around when it is on TVLand so I can catch it everyday, otherwise it is at 3AM. :frowning:

Count me in as an instant sale.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Terry Nation (Doctor Who's Daleks, Blake's 7) was one of the producers on the first season of MacGyver, and he wrote some of the teasers that year. He didn't work on any subsequent seasons, and never really made it big in LA before he passed away, although he'd done very well in his native UK. He told me that while the show itself was chaotic and in constant disarray as they tried to find the right rhythm and staff, etc. in that first season, the one thing everyone agreed on without hesitation was that Richard Dean Anderson was a great guy and a pleasure to work with. I got the impression that Anderson himself was a motivating factor for everyone to finally get the show right. :>

Season sets would be very nice indeed. I could totally see extras in each set exploring Mac's MacGyverisms. It would be very cool to see them do commentary with Dana Elcar, too. He hasn't done much - if anything - since Mac went off the air. One of the fun things with MacGyver is going back now to watch the episodes and see how many people got their start in the show. Even Don S. Davis had some of his earliest acting experiences on the show, as Elcar's stunt double.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Off topic, but Blakes 7 has been released in the UK. Great show! Been enjoying it all week. (While I wait for SG-1 Season 6 to arrive. Which should be next week.)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
I'd love to see MacGyver, Magnum P.I., The A-Team, Mission: Impossible (1980's series?) and Roseanne get season-by-season DVD treatment. Damn, I grew up in the 80's and this was a highly influental time as to what I judged was cool and what was not.
Being 25 this April 5th made me realize these shows were the epiphany for how I am now. Thank you 1980's TV shows! I love ya and always will. I'd also like to thank my older sisters. :D:emoji_thumbsup:
Ray Rogers...

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
I loved this show too and would like to see it on DVD.

Well, except maybe for one episode -- the one with the army ants devouring the plantation. That one gave me the creeps and I couldn't sleep properly for weeks afterwards because I kept feeling things crawling on me after I turned out the lights.

Yes, I hate bugs. :)

cheers,
Phil

Wade K

Second Unit
In addition to Mac, I'd like to see what I've called a "proto-MacGyver" show...Probe with Parker Stevenson. It didn't run too long, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I sure hope it's not far behind because MacGyver is by far the better show out of those one's that are coming like The A-Team and Knight Rider while i liked those two shows as a kid growing up, they simply don't hold up well today and MacGyver does.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Hey Dave or Gord,

Any real word (or rumors) on MacGyver yet? Surely something must be in the works. This is my most-wanted TV title and they would get my money on release day for every single season - even the "preacher-MacGyver the social crusader (yawn) final season.

This show was so much fun. I would LOVE to have it in my player and on my shelf.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I like MacGyver and have seen them all on TVLand.

Did anyone else get the feeling the show was going downhill when he got a job at the Challenger Boys and Girls Club? (Lol, Spy to Social Worker).

How many times did this show "Jump the Shark"?

I do have to say it improved much towards the end, especially the episodes dealing with Dana Elcar's real-life battle with blindness.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Yes! I HATED when he started doing all the social work stuff. I mean, it was an action/adventure show. If I want to watch something about social workers then I'll watch "Judging Amy' or something. (which I have to watch with my wife sometime) :)

Still, I would buy EVERY episode of MacGyver. Man, I love that show.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I haven't heard of any plans to release it, at least nothing directly from the studio.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks