What's new

Why Is the U.K. getting Disney animated Blu-rays months before we do? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Disney is such an American icon (yes, I know they depend heavily upon the foreign market), but why is the U.K. getting TARZAN and 101 DALMATIANS way ahead of us (as was earlier he case with DUMBO)? True, most of the U.S. special edition extras have been dropped and may eventually resurface on later domestic Blu-rays, and, yes, these are region-free, so anyone can order them, but has anyone an idea about why this happens? 101 DALMATIANS will be out in the U.K. in September, but we won't get our Diamond Edition until spring of 2013. Just curious.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that they spent millions on a team to analyze sales data which told them that the fall is the best time to release that type of movie in Europe and the spring is the best time for the U.S.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
That makes sense - the evenings are drawing in, kids coming in from school (usually wet and fed-up); captive audience.
So why's the spring the best time of year for the US?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I've no idea why the U.K. is getting them before us, but Tarzan is already available there and the Amazon reviewers are really bitching about the quality. Apparently it has compression artifacts and lossy audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.